cooking temps

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does it really matter what temp you cook at? Low, slow, hot, fast or somewhere in between. If it does, why?

I don't think it matters for the typical BBQ meats like butts, briskets, chuck, ribs, etc. But, for some meats the results are better at a specific temp range. poultry, for example, is much better at higher temps, and a rib roast is better at lower temps, IMHO.

I'm a believer in letting the smoker cook at the temp range that it prefers. Almost every cooker has a temperature where it just seems to be in the zone. Figure that out and don't fight it just to cook at a specific temperature.

I think that Ron has pretty much hit it on the head with his answer. The only thing that I will add is that some of the cuts with higher fat content will benefit from a lower and slower approach (IMO) in order to render more of the fat out and add tenderness to the meat. As Ron points out though, higher temps with poultry is a good idea since getting smoke into a chicken or turkey is pretty easy (they absorb smoke quickly) and you're trying to get crispy / bite-through skin as well.:-D

Agree with all the above, the more I cook, the less I stress over exact temp.

Back