What's your best Injection /rub / sauce combo for brisket and burnt ends?

Start with the big boys. Kosmos, Butcher, Big Poppa. Lots of teams winning with these products every week across the country.

Injection-Butchers, Kosmo, Big Poppa
Rub- Smoking Guns Hot
Sauce- Blues Hog on the burnt ends
I'm going to guess a few things have been won with that combo.

Butchers Injection
Triple 9 Bovine Rub

20294115_1648124225212208_1905272083592847830_n.jpg

When cooking for an organization, I use:

Butcher BBQ injection
Black Ops or Peppered Cow rub
Aaron Franklin's Sauce

Espresso Barbecue Sauce, by Aaron Franklin

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons espresso (espresso powder is good to keep on hand)
Brisket drippings, for flavoring

Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

This is really interesting question... And I hope more people will chime in ;)

We really haven't found our combo yet, we've done well with even salt and pepper when we cooked the brisket just right.

For injections we've tried Butchers, Sweet Smoke Q and BPS Cattleprod. All seem to do their job (phosphates), can't really comment too much about flavor differences since they are pretty small for my palate..

I think the Sweet Smoke Q was pretty strong (left a lingering aftertaste on my mouth) at the recommended mix rate, but I've tried it only a couple of times. Needs more testing.

We've even experimented with mixing our own injection with phosphates, but I think the big boys are right when they say all phosphates aren't the same ;-) Haven't really been able to nail the correct texture with the phosphates that are readily available for us. Taste has been good with our own injection, I'm a big believer that you only need the perfect amount of salt and optionally good flavor enhancers on your injection.

Here are some rubs we've tried with brisket: SGH, Black Ops, What's your beef, Bovine Bold, Peppered Cow, Cash cow, ...

I think SGH is just a tad too sweet for beef. I'm still undecided on Cash Cow, it brings good flavor, but sometimes I also get a lingering aftertaste that I don't find pleasant. But it also needs more testing, that aftertaste might come from something else. Peppered Cow didn't really do for me, something in it tastes like orange/citrus tones.

Also we still haven't found the perfect sauce, we've tried BH original, BH champ blend, Head Country, etc...

Usually we don't sauce, but if the brisket somehow looks dry or tastes bland, we'll throw in some BH mixed with the drippings.

One thing I know is that BH original works with burnt ends, a little sweetness in them doesn't bother anyone :)

We've been using cattleprod with good results. On a whim this year we picked up some blues hogs smokey mountain and our scores have jumped after that change. For the last two years we've been doing salt and pepper for the rub, using rainbow pepper fine ground has worked the best for us so far.

Here is a pic of our latest brisket box.

https://scontent.fyxe1-1.fna.fbcdn....=3fea166b5fe95f04137619c38bf07fdb&oe=5A287183

Back