UDS Advice

Parm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been promised a couple of custom made stainless steel containers that have previously been used to store flour. One has a lid and the other doesn't. Size of both is about 18 inches square and around 35 inches tall.

This gives me an idea to make a S/S UDS after seeing a recent thread here.

Question is will it work in a square container or does it have to be a drum. I realy hoping some of you experts say yes as it will be quite cool to build a stainless steel UDS

I don't see why not. There's round smokers and square smokers so why not round uds's and square uds's.

There's no reason it won't work, but it might be hard to find a grill grate to fit it. How are your metal skills? Angle iron and extruded metal would make a grill.

There's no reason it won't work, but it might be hard to find a grill grate to fit it. How are your metal skills? Angle iron and extruded metal would make a grill.

Metal working skills isn't an issue for me, I have a very well equipped home workshop so will definitely be able knock together almost anything I need. Currently thinking of turning some 1/4 inch S/S tubing into a grill grate

How about a vertical offset instead?

Good idea but I'm also in the throes of building an RF offset smoker. This is taking some time due to sourcing materials whereas I can do the UDS in an afternoon

Should work fine, I've seen file cabinet smokers here. Look forward to seeing it built!:thumb:

One major question, should I go for slot type vents on the bottom as found on the BGE the units or should I go with 3/4 inch tubing and ball valves??

Either way I've got some great ideas for workable solutions!

I think you should use the BGE style vents but both work...it's a matter of what YOU like and if you plan to use a controller for it in the future (then the ball valve would be nicer)

I think you should use the BGE style vents but both work...it's a matter of what YOU like and if you plan to use a controller for it in the future (then the ball valve would be nicer)

I don't realy know anything about controllers so want to keep things as simple as possible. Bit of a dilemma with this one, BGE type vents are the simplest for me to make but I've got some great ideas for ball valves and 3/4 inch copper tubing that will look realy cool against the stainless steel smoker

Back