What Is Texas Barbecue

Can you explain more what you mean by this? I don't live in Texas. Are you saying the long waits at places like Franklins (etc) are drying up?

I'm 505 miles from Franklins and don't follow him on social media. No clue, sorry. I doubt that his lines have shortened. Probably grown and growing

Here's three of several Instagram links of post types I'm referring too

https://www.instagram.com/p/CybSD7nggpb/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyq2xo4O9OC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwdVIYduoFe/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited:
You haven't visited the east coast. There are very few places I venture to eat brisket. Usually, it is accompanied by tears. Things are greatly improved over the last 5-10 years, but more often than not, brisket here is dry as sawdust.

There is no edible brisket within driving range of me. Honestly I've never had one that I liked. This ain't Texas.

There is no edible brisket within driving range of me. Honestly I've never had one that I liked. This ain't Texas.

Sausage and sides. I don't go to Qjoints much, but when I do it's Sausage & Sides. One place I go the links have gotten up there in costs. Anyways, there is great variety in sides from one place to next.

Which book...or both?

I've wondered about 17th Street now that Mike Mills has passed.

I found his first book this past summer, " Peace, Love, and Barbecue " published in 2005. I wish I'd found it when it first came out instead of 18 years late. Its right up there with Franklin's first book to me. It would've changed a lot that I was doing on my WSM at that time.

And I just finished Mike and Amy's second book, " Praise the Lard " , where I got the recipe for his Legendary Ribs, using the Pure Magic rub , and his Apple City sauce. I smoked them on the GF and they were delicious.

Hey, this Mike guy sounds interesting.

Of these two books...which would you recommend the most....or do you recommend both?

Is there much overlap between the old and the new one?

Would the later one be the better one? Sounds like it has some special rub recipes there..?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

BBQ doesn't seem to be very popular here. The best Q Joint in the state was the Cookhouse in New Milford. Sadly, Google says they're permanently closed. Local joints are only open a few days a week, and some have food trucks. The one closest to me is only fair, my ribs chili and beans are better. I've never perused sausage.

Chili's is open year round, but corporate Q is disappointing. Such is life.

Got both...

Peace Love is a great book

OH the heck with deciding.

I found both books Used-Very Good condition, out of libraries...both from amazon, shipped with tax $14.41.

Can't beat that...less that one book new.

LOL...I need another cookbook like I need another hole in my head...but, what can you do?

C

OH the heck with deciding.

I found both books Used-Very Good condition, out of libraries...both from amazon, shipped with tax $14.41.

Can't beat that...less that one book new.

LOL...I need another cookbook like I need another hole in my head...but, what can you do?

C

Peace Love Barbecue is not a recipe book per se . There are recipes in the book buts its more about barbecue. Almost like Aaron Franklin's first book. Example, it has a chapter on how to develop your own rubs and sauces. The smoker info is a bit outdated, due to the innovation and change in smokers since 2005.

Praise the Lard published in 2018, is a recipe book but there's a lot of barbecue knowledge in the recipes. I don't normally read recipe books cover to cover, but I did this one.

And yeah, buying used through Amazon is the way I get my books. I've not had a bad experience.

While Texas may be known for brisket, I've had some pretty mediocre brisket there. GOOD brisket is magical, unfortunately most places can't hit the sweet spot regularly

I won't even try, too expensive to learn on, ribs I can do...:grin:

Here's another one

man I feel fortunate. lots of seasoned oak hickory and pecan around me for $100 or less, often delivered within 20mi. fruit woods are tougher to find, but we do have access to peach (which I haven't tried yet).

guess i better stock up a little before prices go up

Web says it'll have parking, order inside. And 44 tables. a converted Sonic and 44 tables? ok - order inside and 44 tables OUTSIDE. Now that makes sense... wait - where are the people parking the cars?

The official State Dish of Texas is chili. I don't see brisket ever taking the place of chili. Brisket on a timeline is fairly young. Before brisket, before processed boxed beef there was shoulder clod. Brisket and BabyBack are actually in their historical infancy. They're just the new kids strutting their three stripe shoes at the pencil sharpener.

Link to Texas State dish, chili

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-food-agriculture-symbol/chili

Last edited:
The official State Dish of Texas is chili. I don't see brisket ever taking the place of chili. Brisket on a timeline is fairly young. Before brisket, before processed boxed beef there was shoulder cold. Brisket and BabyBack are actually in their historical infancy. They're just the new kids strutting their three stripe shoes at the pencil sharpener.

Link to Texas State dish, chili

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/texas/state-food-agriculture-symbol/chili

Three stripe shoes at the pencil sharpener.You telling your age bro! That Starsky had some cool blue ones with the white stripes.That Zebra was a pretty cool car too! Ha!

While Texas may be known for brisket, I've had some pretty mediocre brisket there. GOOD brisket is magical, unfortunately most places can't hit the sweet spot regularly

I won't even try, too expensive to learn on, ribs I can do...:grin:

Most normal folks, the majority who don't cook out would probably say Chicken Fried Steak would be Texas's State dish, followed by Frito Pie, possibly. I don't think most would say brisket. First two towns and states I lived in Dad wouldn't go to the QShacks. He would buy hard cider from a barn, jars of pickles from a root cellar, ears of corn from the trunk of a car-- but he was against BBQ shacks. Ptomaine Palace were his words
Fast forward to third town 4th school 409 miles away from city2 to city3 before 5th grade. A restaurant called Sutphens. It was outstanding food cooked right. Dad loved it. They smoked shoulder cold, not brisket. Cubed, chopped, sliced you name it, clod. So I'm thinking based on me (my experience) shoulder cold replaced brisket within last 40-50 years. Again, boxed beef altered the landscape from the meat Market butchering their own cattle out back. Ssme or similar thing happened with hogs. A lot of the whole hog shacks went to Boston, Picnic or whole shoulders.
Things don't BBQ Change at the speed of light, but they are changing

Which do you prefer, clod or brisket? I have only done one clod, I corned it and it was excellent.

Back