What Is Texas Barbecue

I find it extremely interesting how much everything evolves. Back a hundred years and more, pork chops were the most popular Texas BBQ. We moved into brisket and now ribs. I think the major point is that BBQ makes everything taste great, so head to what is cheap and make that taste good to maximize profit. I think with the cost of beef, everyone could see this happening. You have to evolve or go out of business. This is true of all food. I have a friend who has been out of his home country for a few years. When he went back, he said the food was great, but it was not what it was. Same here. When I go back to Tucson, the Mexican food I grew up on is not what I'm served. People who leave their home and go somewhere else are the best preservers of their home food at the time they leave. They keep those traditional recipes that no longer exist at home. Well I was getting tired of brisket anyway (I tell myself that anyway).

Texas barbecue is brisket cooked simply with S/P with wood, mostly post oak.

After that, there's not a lot of difference in what's being done in Texas and anywhere else in the USA.

Depending on what you call Texas pork ribs. Are Texas pork ribs defined by Johnny Trigg or Aaron Franklin ?

After that, there's not a lot of difference in what's being done in Texas and anywhere else in the USA.

You haven't visited the east coast. There are very few places I venture to eat brisket. Usually, it is accompanied by tears. Things are greatly improved over the last 5-10 years, but more often than not, brisket here is dry as sawdust.

You haven't visited the east coast. There are very few places I venture to eat brisket. Usually, it is accompanied by tears. Things are greatly improved over the last 5-10 years, but more often than not, brisket here is dry as sawdust.

Huh !! Did I not make myself clear ?

That's what I'm saying , if you want brisket ya go to Texas.

If ya wanna smoke brisket in your backyard, you learn from Texas.

Brisket is what separates Texas barbecue from everywhere else.

After that, there's nothing else down there that's much diff from anywhere else.

I would put sausage in that equation, but there's people doing sausage everywhere, and they do great sausage.

As to baby backs, Texas gonna have some really stiff competition.

If I want baby backs , I don't look to Texas and I don't care what Goldee's does.

I just smoked some racks of Mike Mills " legendary ribs " and the Goldee's boys gonna have to work their ass off to beat that.

Yes, that's right, southern Illinois is better. And then there's Memphis, that have been doing baby backs for forever.

Hey, there's limits.

As to baby backs, Texas gonna have some really stiff competition.

If I want baby backs , I don't look to Texas and I don't care what Goldee's does.

I just smoked some racks of Mike Mills " legendary ribs " and the Goldee's boys gonna have to work their ass off to beat that.

Yes, that's right, southern Illinois is better. And then there's Memphis, that have been doing baby backs for forever.

Hey, there's limits.

17th Street (restaurant) sure did have some of the best baby backs I've ever eaten. They competed as Apple City Barbecue back in the day. Unfortunately, their ribs are nothing like they used to be.
But with Mike Mills' rub (he called it Magic Dust) and a bit of technique, us backyard cooks can come mighty close.

I find it extremely interesting how much everything evolves. Back a hundred years and more, pork chops were the most popular Texas BBQ. We moved into brisket and now ribs. I think the major point is that BBQ makes everything taste great, so head to what is cheap and make that taste good to maximize profit. I think with the cost of beef, everyone could see this happening. You have to evolve or go out of business. This is true of all food. I have a friend who has been out of his home country for a few years. When he went back, he said the food was great, but it was not what it was. Same here. When I go back to Tucson, the Mexican food I grew up on is not what I'm served. People who leave their home and go somewhere else are the best preservers of their home food at the time they leave. They keep those traditional recipes that no longer exist at home. Well I was getting tired of brisket anyway (I tell myself that anyway).

Very true even here in Downside Up land. Lots of Greeks and Italians here serving the same kind of food that was common in Greece and Italy 70 years ago. This can't change. Go back to Greece and Italy and the food has evolved. Same will happen here with all our other immigrants I'm sure.

Just not sure what drives this mentality. People, as immigrants abandon their own country for whatever good reason but can't really leave in their minds.

As for Texas BBQ, this shows it is evolving in Texas as it should. But in Melbourne, it sure won't.

Most popular barbecue joint in Tulsa does exclusively baby backs. But like a lot of things done in restaurants its a lot about a business decision and not something we can translate to the backyard.

Name of the place is Burn Co. They cook on Hasty Bake grills. Charcoal/chunk.

Here's the owner talking about baby backs on a Hasty Bake sponsored podcast. IIRC, he said its about the number of servable bones he can get from a rack of baby's, which I think he said its 10. And he stumbled on his recipe. He hands out end bones to people waiting in line. He's an entertaining fellas.

Its at the one hour and one minute mark of this long podcast ...........

https://fb.watch/nS69c6fR9T/

17th Street (restaurant) sure did have some of the best baby backs I've ever eaten. They competed as Apple City Barbecue back in the day. Unfortunately, their ribs are nothing like they used to be.
But with Mike Mills' rub (he called it Magic Dust) and a bit of technique, us backyard cooks can come mighty close.

I've wondered about 17th Street now that Mike Mills has passed.

I found his first book this past summer, " Peace, Love, and Barbecue " published in 2005. I wish I'd found it when it first came out instead of 18 years late. Its right up there with Franklin's first book to me. It would've changed a lot that I was doing on my WSM at that time.

And I just finished Mike and Amy's second book, " Praise the Lard " , where I got the recipe for his Legendary Ribs, using the Pure Magic rub , and his Apple City sauce. I smoked them on the GF and they were delicious.

You have the Oklahoma Onion Burger, Pueblo Slopper, NM Green Chile Cheeseburger and everyone almost instantly (almost) yes that regional dish invented and or perfected in those states. Then come Frito Pie, passion about a 5&10 in New Mexico, and Texas by wife of Frito Lay ancestors. Fast forward to early 90's and my first experience with BabyBack Ribs was Tony Romas in Kansas City. I fell in love with their sauced pull off the bone BabyBack Ribs. Here on the High Plains Chili's was as close as you could get to TR's ribs.thing is back then a rack of baby backs was under or at 2# for 10-12 bones precooked. Was easy to polish a rack back then. Really easy. Seems now if you can find back ribs 2.75# and down you've hit a gold mine. Regardless if cooking back ribs I'll buy the smallest in the bin. If buying those multi packs at Sam's, again I'll average the weight to get as small as I can get. To me, big meaty baby backs are not a positive .Size matters. Smalls, always smalls

PS: Mike Mills BabyBack process including his Dust recipe are Google available

Last edited:
Back