THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I recently test slather ingredients on chicken and its effects on the skin

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222075

Today i am going to test how a slather effects ribs

For todays experiment i tested 3 slathers and a control of none.

I slathered each test half rack liberal with the following; oil, hot sauce, and mustard. I wanted to test molasses as ive had good results but only 2 racks that i cut on half giving me only 4 test subjects.

The cook was @275 for 4 hrs. I wrapped in foil after 2 hrs with bbq sauce, brown sugar, and honey.

Hot sauce. ........................... Mustard

Oil. ............................ Plain

After 2 hrs just before wrapping. The mustard had more of a set bark but generally they were all close

Hot sauce. .............................. Mustard

Oil. .......................... Plain

All done. Not much difference. The mustard did have a drier bark than the rest but all results were close

Hot sauce. ............................ Mustard

Oil. ................... Plain

Oil

Plain

Hot sauce

Mustard

Results: very little variance.

Plain and oil were near identical. Mustard did more for bark but wasnt needed. Recommended if you have a problem devoloping bark/color. Hot sauce had the most noticed result. Notable flavor was added.

Of all tested only the hot sauce made a discerning difference. Mostly in flavor. Mustard helped with crust but wasn't needed for my method.

As to the slather as a glue pretty much bull. Dusting with just a little more than needed and shaking of the excess is enough. The proper amount just sticks.

Winner: hot sauce. The flavor of the hot sauce came through and paired well with the savory rub and the sweet bbq sauce.

Whatever you did to those you cooked em perfectly. I enjoy a hot sauce as a slather too. I usually use that for a savory rub and either mustard or oil for a sweeter rub.

Those all look amazing man. I think you reached rib master status.

Great test! Since I'm a fool for spicy food.... I've been using Yucatan Sunshine for the hot sauce binder since I read your chicken cook report. It works well & is relatively inexpensive. Great flavor. Have used it on chicken, pork & beef.

The ribs look super! Great cook.

Thinking about when I injected my ribs with hot sauce and siracha...couldn't believe I did that but ya know what? It was good! Anything to break up the monotony of having the same type of ribs it's all good.

Nice job on the experimenting ninja-son

Very nicely done! It's been a while since I've used hot sauce for a slather. Thanks for the memory, now I have to go buy some ribs:tongue:

So you foiled for 2 hours? I would have thought it would have made them too mushy but those ribs all look outstanding.

No. sorry i didnt make it too clear.

Slather, rub, fire up pit (cooking on offset stick burner looking to maintain 275 average)
First 2 hours in the pit.
Wrap bones down for 30-45 min.
Return to pit to tighten back up. Generally coast on home at a slightly lower temp.

Between the time it takes to wrap/unwrap and a half hour buffer cook time ranges from 3.5-4 hrs. As long as i can maintain temp this is pretty consistent for me.

Good test and good looking ribs. I did the hot sauce slather, Frank's hot sauce, it did have more flavor. I just found here in Japan they have a garlic style salad dressing, Italian style. Only did it once so far, had a definite different taste. I need to start trying it out more and see how it really works.

I've been using hot sauce or sriracha on my beef ribs and mustard on my pork, I'll have to give the hot sauce a go. Thanks for taking the time to test them all out.

Back