THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Soooo,

I was gonna do two chucks on the grill for pot roast.. After opening the chucks I saw so much fat and silver skin it made it impossible to grill after trimming. The meat was also super loose. I don't know maybe I was too drunk /shrug and I was ocd but I just couldn't let all that silver skin and fat slide. I cubed some and left some in larger strips. I browned in my wok and threw it all in the slow cooker. baby carrots, red potatoes and an onion. I also had an issue with my broth. I got the boxed one and when I opened the top the pull tab was already off it. Did the lid do it or was it already opened. I mean who wants to take that chance it's been in my cup boards for a couple months lol. Sigh, Oh well the crock pot will save the day. Here's the seasoning I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMQSGSS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry. I don't think the lack of broth is a loss, at all. Most all of the commercial stuff isn't very good. You can use a little water and the roast will make the best natural jus.

I like the organic beef 'better than bullion' from costco. It's good, and lives in the fridge, always waiting for me. And it is not too salty.

I fall into the same issue with pork picnics. I rarely use them cause I know how packed they are with sinew and silver skin. I end up butchering them into 5 chunks to get all the gross stuff out. Of course the bone makes great broth. I also use the old school bullion cubes. Cheap, always on hand, and fat free flavor for whatever. My humble $.02.

finished

Finished... Overcooked a little and it looks like a mess but it's pretty good. I hate hard veggies so I tend to run my pot roast and stews longer than most do probably. I separated the big strips of meat from the smaller cubes and veggies. I made corn bread, and I am just now putting an apple pie in. I will post those two together when the pies done. I will have to look at bullion instead of the boxed or canned broth.

Last edited:
The boxed broths and stock have a lid with a sharp piece of plastic that cuts off the pull tab when you unscrew the cap. It's a "feature". It tripped me up too once and I actually went to the grocery store to exchange it, thinking that my chicken stock had already been opened. Grocery manager said I wasn't the only one who tried to return a box for the same reason.. other customers confused about it too. It's completely normal.

Back