Whole Vac-Pak Rump (Top Sirloin?): Smoke whole or break it down?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

Ok, last week they had whole vac-pak rump, listed as "Whole Boneless Rump Roast" on label...choice grade, Angus...etc.

I've been watching YouTube videos on how to process it...and some videos were saying this was also known as "Top Sirloin" roast?!?

I always had thought top sirloin was more of a choice cut than a rump roast, but I had no idea they might be synonymous terms?

Anyone know much about this?

Anyway, the videos showed cutting it apart with the Picanha roast you could cut like Argentine steaks....and other cuts.

Has anyone dealt with one of these?

I bought a couple due to good price....was contemplating just tossing one whole on on the smoker and treating it like a brisket?

Or, would it be better to cut it into smaller "named" roasts and steaks and maybe just roast rather than smoke...etc?

Hoping someone has dealt with one of these whole subprimals and had some suggestions.

It's a 3x day weekend coming up and I want to cook outdoors....

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

The sirloin and rump roast are not the same. Rump roast is vary lean and I smoke them like a prime rib. I smoke the rump roast at 300 to 350 till it probes 140. Take off and let it rest for a while. Than I slice it thin and use it for sandwiches, french dip, philly, or just a plain roast beef sandwich.

It's not a brisket, so please don't do that. Remove the cap. That's the picahna as it's thought to be. The rest of the rump can be roasted (best not as a whole roast) but still is lean, so keep it to medium at most. I used to buy whole rump and slice it thin for stirfry when I was doing a lot of that kind of thing before I learnt BBQ. Since then of course.... no.

Think some terminology got mixed up somewhere. A Rump Roast is off the end of the whole bottom round. Might be 2 to 3 lbs at most.

Since you mentioned Picanha specificially, it sounds like what you have is a whole "Top Sirloin Butt".

There are a number of ways to use this, but absolutely none of those ways resembles cooking like a brisket.

You can peel off the sirloin cap, cut between the two veins and do Picanha. Either roast the cap whole, or slice it into thick steaks.

You can also slice it into thinner steaks (across the grain) and make petit sirloin steaks out of it. Super tasty and super tender.

If you do separate the cap, the other part can be broken down into different sirloin steak cuts.

Another option is to just go old school and slice the entire thing into brontosaurus sized sirloin steaks.

Top Sirloin Steak.jpg

If you can post a picture, we can help solve the mystery, but the rump roast and top sirloin/picahna are totally different cuts.

Back