THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nkuras22

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
nkuras
Posting this thread to see what kind of interest there is for a portable pellet grill? Are you Interested in a portable pellet grill, or know someone who would be? What would be some important features you would want from a portable pellet grill? Would you want it to possibly have solar charging capability, or just a replaceable rechargeable battery? Since it is portable it would most likely be smaller than your stationary grill, what minimum cooking surface area would you want? Or How many burgers would you want to still be able to fit?

What I would like to see in a portable pellet grill is either a battery built in or the ability to run on a battery without adding an inverter. I am actually curious if there would be any way to make something the size of a 14” Weber Smokey Mountain into a pellet grill.

There are a number of portable-ish pellet grills on the market. Recteq 340 & B380, Grilla Chimp, and Asmoke AS300 come to mind. Pretty sure Traeger, Pit Boss, and Green Mountain all have products they bill as portable, too. A portable pellet doesn't interest me, but it seems like a battery would add more weight. Good luck!

I have been looking into getting a portable pellet grill. I travel to a lot of Rodeos during the spring/fall/summer etc. Id like to be able to have some ribs or chicken cooking etc during the day while at the Rodeo. I have always had good luck with my GMG and after 7 years they still ship parts for free so I'll probably go that route. (Usually i'd rather have no issues and not need parts, but with the minimal issues I've had, they have always got me fixed quick with the part within a day or two and for free).

One thing I find confusing, is trying to figure out how long you can run it off a battery etc. Just going to have to buy one and try it out I guess...

One thing I find confusing, is trying to figure out how long you can run it off a battery etc. Just going to have to buy one and try it out I guess...

Should run for a while. Once the hotrod shuts off, you're just powering the controller, fan & auger. Although it depends on the size of the battery I guess.

Should run for a while. Once the hotrod shuts off, you're just powering the controller, fan & auger. Although it depends on the size of the battery I guess.

Most pellet grills use about 40W - 50W once the igniter is off, and the igniter is typically 400W for a few minutes. You can disable the igniter and manually light the pellets to save that initial draw.

I bought a GMG Davey Crockett and it appeared to be a nice little cooker. Seemed well made. Stainless lid and temp probe. It was pretty heavy too for "portable". Probably 75-80lbs. It was damaged out of the box and I sent it back and have yet to make another purchase but I am looking.

I'd go with the Mini-Mak. But, I think it was just a rumor.

I'm on the grilla grillz train! My silverbac works flawlessly... I like what I see from the Chimp... from the FB page it seems to be pretty portable... but not a "stow away under the sink" kinda portable..

I carry a Weber mbh 22 and just purchased an Asmoke 300 pellet, both for camping. Had a GMG Davy Crockett, never used it, too heavy for portable.

What I would like to see in a portable pellet grill is either a battery built in or the ability to run on a battery without adding an inverter. I am actually curious if there would be any way to make something the size of a 14” Weber Smokey Mountain into a pellet grill.

My Davy Crockett came with the ability to run off the cigarette plug, regular outlet. It's been a bullet proof little cooker, sits on my deck year round never had an issue.

Back