Cheap mini kamado (or...?) for cabin weekend?

Horseflesh

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
MS
Next spring I will have the chance to do some outdoor cooking at a cabin retreat, and I want to get some kind of portable grill for the occasion. I have no idea how often I will use the thing after that trip, so it has to be on the less expensive side.

At home I have used a large Big Green Egg for years ... And I have never grilled/smoked with anything else. So I am leaning towards a kamado style with lump charcoal, because that is what I know.

Obviously the Akorn Jr looks like a candidate.

I also see a lot of fishy looking no-name ceramic kamados at around $100.

I'm open to non-kamado styles though, if you have something you love sell me on it!

I think I will be doing mostly grilling ... But I do not want to totally lock out the low & slow option.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If want to go lump/charcoal, Weber Jumbo Joe is hard to beat. Very portable. Enough grill and air space to set up two zones. Capable of small smokes. Has a bail for the lid. Got mine years ago for $30 on sale. Weber has since jacked the price to $90...still worth it. Has become my favorite Weber product.

edit to add: Do NOT consider a Weber Smokey Joe. Way too small.

I might leave a gas station hibachi for the next person, but a weber kit is a little too nice to discard. Glad you mentioned the Vortex though, that is new to me... Could be handy.

X2 for a Jumbo Joe.
Not Kamados, but other options, a Weber Go Anywhere if gas is an option, a Q1200 or similar.

I've had them all, the Q1200 is my current small travel grill, but also have a 22' kettle with removable legs for the rv.

I threw away a jr acorn because it's a rain catch and rusted like heck. Other than that it was fine. Grab a used weber on craigslist, buy a new grate and leave it behind. I bet all in you're under $50.

I have multiple bbqs and my daily cooker is the jumbo joe! It’s just me and my wife most of the time so It just works! I added a temp probe to it soo direct or indirect grilling or smoking it’s solid! But I will say if you’re cooking on a wood deck I’d probably go with a concealed ash catcher the jj doesn’t have that!

I've seen these and they look pretty nice. They sell them at Walmart too. My understanding is they are American made. 332sq.in. is nice cooking area and a bit less expensive than a Weber kettle. I'd also check to see if the cabin doesn't already have a grill.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/America...z8foZBRiD-XAv-DwnT0aAom8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought this one for chicken wings when I cooked KCBS. Gave it away when moved here to the lake and stopped competing.
Ed

Definitely check out a Weber. Used one all the time and then got my Large BGE- but that is not easy to transport

I have a Hasty Bake Ranger. It is portable enough for camping/tailgating etc. I have used the heck out of it cooking everything from smoking to searing. It's not cheap, but it is all stainless and will never rust out.

Depends... How much room you have to transport and budget.

One of those cheaper square stand up grills from wallmart work pretty well for a cheap option. Air controls will be similar to a kamado style grill.

Then as mentioned above we have the weber kettle, It should be no problem finding a nice used one from Marketplace or Garage sales for a bargain.

Moving up in price the PKGO grill is another option that looks pretty sweet.

Then I ll finish it with the Nomad Grill as another option

Back