Anyone using a Cookshack FEC100 in 2024?

Ware

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been casually shopping for a “pellet smoker” and the Cookshack FEC100 doesn’t seem to be as popular as it once was. Has it fallen out of favor to the more versatile “pellet grill” options on the market? I see almost no recent social media chatter about the Cookshack.

I used to have a YS640 on a comp cart. There are some things I liked about it and some things that annoyed me. With everything there are tradeoffs, but I felt like the Yoder tried too hard to be both a great grill and a great smoker. I’m not picking on Yoder - I think the same could be said about their competitors.

I understand the market drives that versatility, but if space and budget were not a factor and you wanted the best “pellet smoker” what would you buy in 2024?

Last edited:
My 2012 FEC100 that I purchased in 2014 is still going strong. Need to replace the 12V power supply. But as you say they are not as popular on the competition circuit as they once were. A lot of people made a lot of money with the FEC100s back in the day.

My FEC-100 is one of the first with the IQ5 controller. After all of these years I've had to replace the iqnitor once, and that's with thousands of cooks. I personally think that Cookshack sat on their ass when other manufacturers where upping their game with wi-fi control and menu programming and that's hurting them now. Cookshack quality is second to none and the insulated cabinet uses less than one pound of pellets per hour. Compare that to a Yoder YS1500 that can burn through 40 pounds of pellets in a single cook.

I have been casually shopping for a “pellet smoker” and the Cookshack FEC100 doesn’t seem to be as popular as it once was. Has it fallen out of favor to the more versatile “pellet grill” options on the market? I see almost no recent social media chatter about the Cookshack.

I used to have a YS640 on a comp cart. There are some things I liked about it and some things that annoyed me. With everything there are tradeoffs, but I felt like the Yoder tried too hard to be both a great grill and a great smoker. I’m not picking on Yoder - I think the same could be said about their competitors.

I understand the market drives that versatility, but if space and budget were not a factor and you wanted the best “pellet smoker” what would you buy in 2024?

My FEC100 still gets used but, when I have the time, I use my Klose BYC offset. Like the FEC100, Klose BYC's were the cats meow 10-15 years ago but you don't hear much about them anymore. Both still work awesome.

Back