Pellet Grill Smoke Flavor

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I would like to know if there is much smoke flavor difference between a good pellet smoker like an LSG 24x36, which I am considering vs an insulated cabinet type like the FEC100? I am considering both for many different reasons but flavor is the largest concern.

I may very well be wrong but I would think that as long as pellet grills put the same amount of smoke on meat, they would taste pretty much the same. Sort of like, smoke from a burnt pellet is smoke from a burnt pellet regardless of what or how it is burnt. But then I wonder, are there cookers and environments within the cooker that burn a pellet differently in some way that could produce a better flavor, not just more, but better?

As you can probably guess, I am trying to decide if all of the extra benefits and versatility of the LSG come at the cost of not quite as good of a product as the more expensive and less versatile FEC. Would anyone who has experienced cooks from both have an opinion?

For years I've looked all over YouTube and elsewhere for presentations even slightly scientific that put your question to the test. So far I can't find even one test comparing, say, an LSG unit with a Pitts & Spitts unit or an Outlaw with a RecTec keeping every other variable the same (cut, trim, seasoning, temp, time, wrap, hold) and then doing blind taste tests.

There's a wonderful opportunity out there but so far no one seems willing to step up and separate reality from prejudice, ownership bias, etc.

In my experience, its really up to the controller's smoke mode. Ive had traeger's, recteq's and pit boss's in various models and the one that produced the most smoke flavor was a cheap NON PID vertical Pit Boss. Recteq had the best smoke flavor but it was mild. Treager was my least favorite and ironically the most expensive smoker.

I've watched each of those several times. None are scientific. A scientific taste test would be blind or even double blind, and would ideally involve people who have no knowledge of the two brands being compared, or even what kind of cooker, and instead simply choose A or B.

The videos are fun, but IMO invalid in multiple ways.

If I had $, I’d buy the LSG. But I ain’t got $ so I have a Grilla Silverbac that I supplement with a cpl charcoal n several wood chunks burning in a stainless pan - not too Shabby with the wood chunks. Not that Great straight pellets.

Scientific?

There is nothing scientific about flavor or taste!

Like Adams says, if you don’t use a shovel it’s not bbq anyway.

Buy something and cook on it, if ya don’t like it sell it and buy something else.

Scientific?

There is nothing scientific about flavor or taste!

I can't agree. When I say scientific I'm not talking about lab coats, stainless steel and glass instruments, clean rooms, beakers, microscopes, etc. I'm talking about a solid, proven way of collecting data in order to cut through the fog surrounding most questions to figure out what is and isn't true, what is real and what is imagined. Flavor itself isn't scientific, but the way we experience flavor can be studied scientifically in myriad ways.

I can't agree. When I say scientific I'm not talking about lab coats, stainless steel and glass instruments, clean rooms, beakers, microscopes, etc. I'm talking about a solid, proven way of collecting data in order to cut through the fog surrounding most questions to figure out what is and isn't true, what is real and what is imagined. Flavor itself isn't scientific, but the way we experience flavor can be studied scientifically in myriad ways.

Don't expect too many here to be "scientific" Majority of the members here don't know what a Instant Pot or Sous vide immersion circulator is.

No, it is subjective.

You could run all of the testing you want, and you can come up with a consensus, but that’s it.

It’s the same as finding the best color

No, it is subjective.

You could run all of the testing you want, and you can come up with a consensus, but that’s it.

It’s the same as finding the best color

Flavor is subjective. But defining texture and moisture retention is scientific. But yes, preferred texture is also subjective.

Science can't tell me how much smoke flavor I should prefer.

Science can tell me (if someone conducts a valid test) which pellet cooker imparts the most smoke flavor.

Science can't tell me whether hickory pellets produce a better flavor than oak pellets.

Science can tell me (if someone conducts a valid test) if there is actually a discernible difference between food cooked with hickory pellets and food cooked with oak pellets.

Any controller that can adjust feed rate will give you the most smoke flavor. Pit boss has a pretty good feed rate pushing smoke every 5 minutes. That's default with the old non pid controller on their vertical smokers. Recteq in my opinion has the most user friendly adjustable feed rate but only goes down to 180F where the pit boss goes down to 150F, so it just produces more smoke then recteq, but not as clean. Recteq used to allow you to adjust feed rate through the app, but idiots ruined that feature by causing flame outs so recteq removed it from the app. They also had a calibration feature on the app they had to remove due to idiots. The calibration feature allowed you to run as low as 160F by going negative 20 degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHyomyxGiNM

This comparison of a stick burner and a pellet cooker is more scientific than most. If someone has done a test like this comparing two pellet cookers I'd love to see it.

That's what I am talking about! I watched this video too and it is a pretty good comparison between the two. I just wish I could find one between two or three different levels of pellet smokers. My hunch is that the two that I mentioned above are both good enough that the cookers themselves don't make nearly as much difference as the cook. That is why I have been leaning toward the LSG which looks to be more versatile, easy enough to clean, and just more fun to use. The more fun, the more I will use it, and the more I use it, the better I should become at cooking... right? We will see, lol. But that has been my experience so far.

On the other hand, the FEC100 is probably more consistent in being insulated and may be used to arrive at a more even and consistent product that would be good for competition and such. But is the cooker actually producing a better flavor? I'm a little skeptical of that. I would be more inclined to believe that having the ability to use wood chips in the LSG may give a little advantage in better flavor. But I am on the fence about that too because there is so little natural wood being burned compared to say, a stick burner.

I have not read all of the comments yet, but I am leaning more toward making it easier and more fun to use and relying on the cook (me) to produce a better flavor instead of finding the magic pit, which I don't believe exists. Not to mention having a greater ability to get it off and on the patio for cleaning both the patio and the pit. I will read on but thank all of you for the help... Again!

Well, I have read all of the comments now and so far, it does not look like anyone knows of a study or comparison between these two pellet smokers. That would be all that it takes is to just get a group of people together, not let them know anything about what kind of smokers, not even the type, and let them taste the food and see which one gets the consensus. It would even be neat to have trained BBQ judges try it.

I would guess that you could run the same test with the same people, the same cookers, and the same food week after week with mixed results every time. It sure would be nice to find out though.

You all made some good points but one that stands out for me is; "Buy something and cook on it, if ya don’t like it sell it and buy something else". I would just like to sort them out so I don't have to do this so many times. My wife is the most patient person I know but why push it? :nono: Thanks again

Flavor can't be quantified "scientifically" no matter how much you think it can. There are too many interactive pieces of the puzzle whether it's a cabinet smoker, stick burner, or pellet smoker. Your technique with each piece of equipment will determine the success.

Part of creating the flavor profile is learning how to use the smoker to its best advantage. I have an LSG cabinet smoker and a MAK 2 Star. Takes completely different techniques to get a good smoke profile out of each of them.

Pellet smokers excel in convenience (meaning you may use it more) and can produce really good smoked flavor if you learn the techniques for the particular smoker that make it work to its maximum. What you do with a stick burner or cabinet smoker will not work with a pellet smoker. You have to develop your techniques for the specific equipment you're using.

I spent nearly three years with the MAK before I felt confident that I could make whatever piece of meat I put into it come out cooked and smoked exactly how I wanted it. My point is - if you get a pellet smoker and the food you're getting isn't "perfect" it's probably your technique - not the equipment.

What you may find with a pellet smoker is that you use it more because it's easier to set up, start, use, and clean. For example, we do pizza on the MAK regularly because it's so easy to do. I'd never do that with a cabinet smoker or stick burner.

Don't get a pellet smoker and think it's going to be a set-it-and-forget proposition - it's not. Just like anything else, you're going to have to work at it a while before you start getting exceptional results.

If it was my choice today, I'd look carefully at the LSG - that option was not available when I bought my MAK. The MAK works great and I would certainly recommend that as another option.

Last edited:
Still going to suggest a Pit Boss. They produce lots of smoke flavor and are cheap. But go ahead, spends 2-3K and not be happy.

Thanks Smitty. I have now watched all of the videos. I had already seen the first three, but I liked the last one the best out of all of them. (regardless of whether it was scientific or not)

I have decided I will be getting the LSG. There are just too many advantages to it for me as opposed to any of the others that I have seen. I think that none are completely capable of matching the flavor of an offset stick burner, but with practice, I believe I will get closer than I used to. Thank you and Happy New Year!!!

Smoke quality is a great question, especially with more convenient methods.

The quality of the pellets is another factor, though your question focuses on the hardware and rightly assumes same pellets.

Several years ago a friend gave me a Bradley smoker. The Bradley uses an electric element for heat and sawdust pucks for smoke. The pucks are heated on the element for a period of time before being pushed by the next puck into the water bowl and extinguished. The pucks char but I don't think they flame.

I always felt the quality of smoke from the unit was quite high quality (compared to some other alternatives). The timing of the system extracts the best smoke from the fuel and then discards the remnants. It may be key that the pucks are not allowed to smoulder.

Back