Meat Math

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
So, after volunteering to bring "some" pulled pork for my ham radio club's Field Day midnight dinner, I find that I am now feeding 35 people. I want to make sure that I get the math right and don't buy too little or too much. Based on info on Barbecuebible.com I'm figuring for 1/2 lb. per person. That should allow for seconds or a few extra people.

35/2=17.5 lbs finished pulled pork.
A pork shoulder loses roughly 40% of its weight while cooking.
I'm figuring on about 29.2 lbs. raw shoulder.
40% of 29.2 is 11.68
29.2 - 11.68 = 17.52

So if my math is right 29.2 lbs. uncooked should yield 17.52 lbs. finished pulled pork.

Does that sound about right? Thanks!

This is a really popular topic this time of year; graduations, weddings, holiday, parties in general. Depending on sides - half pound per person is plenty. If the sides are good and plentiful, could be 1/3 lbs per person. I think you've got plenty in your calcs.

I always figure 1/3 lb per person and plan on 50% yield on the butts.
For 35 people I'd cook 4 butts (they're usually around 8 lbs and come in a two pack) and take about 12 lbs to the party and keep the rest for myself.

I have never recalled having a 60% yield on bone in pork shoulder. I am sure boneless shoulder would have a higher yield but I have never bothered to weigh the before and after results. I always figure 40% yield on pork shoulder. The 50% yield is often quoted, but my results average about 45%. I go with the 40% to make sure that there is some meat left over. I would rather err on the side of having too much as opposed to running out. The same yield goes for brisket. As for poultry, if I am doing pulled chicken, I will use a 10 pound bag of leg/thigh quarters and when you pour out the water from the bag, that chicken will already have lost about 1.5 of weight. After the cooking and boning of the meat, I usually get around three pounds of boneless/skinless meat for a yield of 30%. A side note on the pulled chicken. I will also cook a whole chicken so that there is some white meat to add to the mix of the leg/thigh quarters. The whole birds have about the 30% yield of meat. This yield result for chicken has been a lot more consistent for me compared to pork and brisket.

Say you have 36 people show each eating one-half pound of pork. (Mind you that a lot of places have 1/3 lb sandwiches.) That is 18 pounds of finished product. Using the 40% yield that means you would need 45 pounds of shoulder as 40% of 45 = 18. A 45% yield means you would need 40 pounds. And the easy math of 50% loss would be 36 pounds of meat to yield 18 pounds.

I came up with a higher raw weight but I plan on 50% yield as a safety factor:

35 servings X 8 oz/serving = 280 oz cooked weight

280 oz cooked weight X 2 = 560 oz raw weight

560 oz ÷ 16 oz/lb = 35 pounds of raw pork.

Tips: Have the meat at the end of the serving line, with at least 2 kinds of sauce for self service. Use a finishing rub on the pulled meat. Have a spray bottle with warm liquid to keep the meat moist as needed.

For more of a buffer, or you suspect some big eaters, you can get 9 to 10 good slices from a 1# fatty (breakfast log) to serve as finger food, and they make good sliders served on Kings Hawaiian rolls.

ZJlDAIO.jpg

I came up with a higher raw weight but I plan on 50% yield as a safety factor:

35 servings X 8 oz/serving = 280 oz cooked weight

280 oz cooked weight X 2 = 560 oz raw weight

560 oz ÷ 16 oz/lb = 35 pounds of raw pork.

Tips: Have the meat at the end of the serving line, with at least 2 kinds of sauce for self service. Use a finishing rub on the pulled meat. Have a spray bottle with warm liquid to keep the meat moist as needed.

For more of a buffer, or you suspect some big eaters, you can get 9 to 10 good slices from a 1# fatty (breakfast log) to serve as finger food, and they make good sliders served on Kings Hawaiian rolls.

ZJlDAIO.jpg

Brilliant!

My opinion.1 lb. Raw meat per person.You will have leftovers.That is the ratio I use and have never ran short.There would never be a more embarrassing situation than to host a gathering and run short on food in my opinion.

Back