First time stick burner

Biscuitt

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Biscuit
First time posting too
Just looking for a little advice, I have been looking around here for a while trying to learn, I have been smoking for my wife and I and occasionally a few friends with a pellet smoker. I do okay with it and haven’t had had anything turn out to bad, most has been pretty good although it has never has as strong of a smoke flavor as I would like.
Anyway i joined a new formed EAA chapter in our neighborhood. The first meeting I went to with about 10 or 15 people at it I offered to do some bbq for a meeting, which was met with them saying it would be great if I could do a flyin that they were planning. I don’t really remember volunteering but evidently I did.
All I’m doing is the bbq, the other members are doing sides. I have a few weeks yet before this, I’m told to plan for 150 people, lunch event. I’m figuring on about 75 lbs off butts, I’m guessing that should be about right from what I have read?
I have also borrowed a Lang 60 deluxe so I’m not doing this all week on my pellet grill, I also will have it for about a week before so maybe I can get used to it a little.
Anybody got any advice for me.

I’d recommend you get some good wood, and spend the week before learning how to run the thing before you try cooking 10 butts at once. Are you planning on serving the meat at the end of the cook, or will you be cooking in advance and reheating? Running a stick burner has a learning curve, but with some decent wood and experience running a wood fire in a fireplace or camp fire, it might not be too bad.

i admire your courage!

You've picked the most forgiving option for that situation, too. Good advice (and fun) to learn the Lang that week. Also good advice to not worry about holding a certain temperature. I'd be more concerned with getting them done in time.

Will you be cooking on site or taking the pulled meats in trays?

Once you get it fired up and rolling you'll soon see when to add another split or two which will be about every 45 minutes or so. Like already said don't stress holding 225 or any particular temp, just keep it rolling along. Preheating splits on top of the fire box will ensure they ignite as soon as they are added. Langs are easy to run and you'll find that sweet spot temperature it wants to run at. Good luck and enjoy it! Be sure to report back with some pics.

Ditto

I’d recommend you get some good wood, and spend the week before learning how to run the thing before you try cooking 10 butts at once. Are you planning on serving the meat at the end of the cook, or will you be cooking in advance and reheating? Running a stick burner has a learning curve, but with some decent wood and experience running a wood fire in a fireplace or camp fire, it might not be too bad.

I'd have to go DITTO on this one.

I just recently bought my own stick burner...offset.

I love it, BUT...learning fire control/management is defiantly a learning curve...and it is the KEY to good BBQ off of them.

So, yes, get some good wood like you'l be using....and practice runs!!

Learn how to fire it up properly, to get a good coal bed.

Then...learn how close to the the coals and fire need to be to the food chamber ....and learn how many logs need to be used and maintained to hit your specific temperatures.

Fire management is the #1 priority I'd say...because for the most part...once you get the food on, your only job is to keep the fire tended.

For the first 4 or so hours, that's all you'll do...I don't even open the lid where the food is for about the first 4x hours....so...

Anyway, good luck!!

cayenne

You are brave cooking for that many people first time using a stick burner. It is fun. Foillow the advise. Practice. When I had one I use to put my wood on the warming chambert to preheat them. Felt it kept the smoke cleaner. Please post pics of your cook and results

Plenty of good stick burner advice here\. I have not used one for years, so no help there.

Advice on getting "voluntold" to be the Pitmaster and supply the meat with zero stickburner and fire management experience: Shut the Fark UP! :p

That aside.. I wish you the best. See if you have a PLAN B. If you do not have a plan B, then make one fast. You are either going to be the hero or the villain here.

Bill

I would cook beforehand and reheat if possible. That way you're not stressing last minute running a new to you smoker and trying to hold food at temp until serving. Especially with pulled pork. That's an easy protein to cook in advance and reheat with little to no loss in taste.

I wish you luck! I do bbq for groups, and with a group that size it becomes a production. Make a schedule that gives you a good buffer before serving time. Are all 150 people eating at once?

As an EAA member I can’t believe that they did that to you. I have to assume that they didn’t know any better, but there is a major difference between offering to bring bbq to a meeting of 10 to 15 people and bringing BBQ to a fly in of 150 people. Ours did pancake breakfasts, we never did a bbq!

This

I would cook beforehand and reheat if possible. That way you're not stressing last minute running a new to you smoker and trying to hold food at temp until serving. Especially with pulled pork. That's an easy protein to cook in advance and reheat with little to no loss in taste.

For first time out AND for people...

THIS!!

Very much THIS!

I picked up the smoker today, going to fire it up tomorrow, I got a good choice of wood to choose from both of them recommended by my buddy that was kind enough to loan me the smoker, any suggestions for wood, oak, hickory, pecan, cherry etc, something that's good for fire management without sacrificing flavor.

We're not going to be serving all at once, just as they come, others will be serving...I hope.

It is a strong possibility that we'll have quite a few leftovers as this is happening the same weekend as the Florida, Georgia game, I think that will probably hurt attendance. I'll keep y'all posted.

Personally I like Pecan, oak, and cherry- pecan is my favorite. Pecan and cherry or pecan and apple ae my favorite choices for pork butt. Looking forward to your results. Left overs is always good

I picked up the smoker today, going to fire it up tomorrow, I got a good choice of wood to choose from both of them recommended by my buddy that was kind enough to loan me the smoker, any suggestions for wood, oak, hickory, pecan, cherry etc, something that's good for fire management without sacrificing flavor.

We're not going to be serving all at once, just as they come, others will be serving...I hope.

It is a strong possibility that we'll have quite a few leftovers as this is happening the same weekend as the Florida, Georgia game, I think that will probably hurt attendance. I'll keep y'all posted.

How did the first firing go? How was the learning curve? I’m thinking of renting a 250 gallon Meadow Creek in the spring for a big rib cook, and am wondering how long it takes to figure things out?

Fired it up yesterday morning, my buddy who I borrowed it from said run it up to 400 and then load it. That worked pretty good. I was able to stay between 220 and 250 most of the time, it dipped a few times, I think I had a few pieces of wet wood. Cooked 2 slabs of ribs, 3 butts, and a couple of pork loins, they were last on and first off.
The smoke flavor is WAY better than anything I've ever turned out on my pellet grill. Tomorrow I have a Dr. appt then I'll start smoking the butts. I'll let y'all know how it turns out

Are you serving Saturday?

Hope you have some claws to pull it. They help with such a large quantity.

Definitely got claws, 9 butts on the smoker now. So far so good. Just finished a mixed drink to keep me going, peanuts and coke.

Back