Pork sirloin roasts for pulled pork

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I was asked to cook all of the pulled pork for a church girls' camp dinner. But the person buying the meat mistakenly bought a ton of 2 lb sirloin roasts instead of pork butts. :doh:

I know you can make pulled pork with these, but I'll need a new game plan due to the meat difference and roast size.

Besides getting over my own pride that people are going to think this is how I cook BBQ (which I admit shouldn't bother me, but really does), I'm trying to think through how to get the best result. The plan is to cook all the pork, pull the meat and freeze in ziploc bags and retherm onsite.

My concerns:

* less fat in the meat than in pork shoulder
* higher percentage of surface area means more bark per pound vs. moist inside meat (drier overall)
* getting the cook time right
* whether I will now need to do more than one load in my smoker (since they will need airflow around the smaller roasts)

I'd love your collective wisdom on how best to do this cook. I'm assuming I should space these little roasts out so they have airflow around them, cook a much shorter time until a probe goes in easily and basically do everything else the same . . .

Thanks!

I think you're basically on the right track. Though you might want to crowd them a little more than you normally would. Less worry about too much bark, drying out, and cooking too fast. I wonder if injecting would help.

I've made pulled pork from sirloin roasts before. They do tend to dry out. Pull them as soon as the meat starts to pull back from the bone. Serve with plenty of sauce.

Thanks; good idea. I think you're right that I don't need to space them all out -- I can probably crowd them a bit for the reasons you mention. I'll probably try a couple of roasts tomorrow as a trial run.

We will indeed serve the sandwiches with a lot of sauce :thumb:

Thanks

Just because I tend to overthink things, I'm doing a trial run today where I tied two roasts together with some twine. Basic pork rub, cooking at 225F. We'll see how long it takes to cook!

Back