First brisket on my Brazos offset was not a success.

One thing I should have mentioned is that it was under 40° for the entire cook. On my Green Egg, outdoor temp. has very little effect on cooking. With my new offset, I'm sure I burnt a lot more logs than I would in the summer.

This would decrease your efficiency even further and facilitate more fire/air moving through your smoker. Compare the fuel you used on this oct recent cook with doing a brisket on your Egg.

I'm not familiar with the tuning plate but what I have tried to remember is a traditional offset cooks from the top down, rendering the fat, why the top rack doesn't give the best results. I personally wouldn't be making any modifications to my smoker after just one cook with so many variables. Hope this helps

Yes, an offset cooks from the top down. The tuning plate deflects the heat down to cook from the bottom up which is where I believe the burning came from. In forums I see with a Brazos, a lot of people are removing the tuning plate and even the baffle which you need an angle grinder to remove. The tuning plate just drops in place. I have been smoking for about 30 years and have done a number of briskets. All ranging from good to excellent. I'm confident I have my basics down. After seeing blackdogbbq21's post having the same experience, I'm going to bet removing or not cooking over the plate will make a big difference. On a side note to anyone who thinks briskets are difficult, except for this brisket, the Aaron Franklin method has never failed me.

Back