My new favorite brisket

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
It was my first time trying a Creekstone prime. I've cooked 30+ Costco primes, and then recently have been getting wagyu briskets when on sale, and those have been my go to briskets. But, this Creekstone brisket might have been the best brisket I've ever cooked. It could just be me, but it had a beefy flavor that is not as pronounced with the wagyu I’ve cooked. They come from the packer very well trimmed and I barely had any trimmings, which made prep much easier and brought down the cost.

Attachments

• IMG_9336.jpg
    IMG_9336.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9340.jpg
    IMG_9340.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9343.jpg
    IMG_9343.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_9410.jpg
    IMG_9410.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 212
On point!!

I love Creekstone briskets also. I've been very happy with them. Not a fan of Costco primes either and when Costco has Black Canyon Angus choice briskets I always choose Black Canyon. Black Canyon choice is superior to Costco Primes unless it's a CAB Prime.

They are fantastic but at 175 shipped from creekstone i can't afford them every time i want brisket. I'm always searching to find a local source for them but no luck yet. Their full spare ribs were my favorite also but they don't sell them regularly online anymore.

Costco prime used to be better. Depends on the packer they buy from but since the pandemic and everything that's happened with the beef industry costco is very hit or miss on briskets.

They are fantastic but at 175 shipped from creekstone i can't afford them every time i want brisket. I'm always searching to find a local source for them but no luck yet. Their full spare ribs were my favorite also but they don't sell them regularly online anymore.

Costco prime used to be better. Depends on the packer they buy from but since the pandemic and everything that's happened with the beef industry costco is very hit or miss on briskets.

$175 is pricey for sure. I got the $110 ones when they went on sale. I think they’re having another sale in early December again.

I got lucky once and my local grocery store had Creekstone choice for 50% off, but haven’t seen them since that.

Looks great, not having to trim much excess definitely helps...on a 15-16lb Costco prime I usually have 4-5lbs of trim. Some of that I can grind for burgers, but a lot of it is just hard fat and I don't need THAT much tallow.

I see the 12-14lb label, but what did yours end up weighing untrimmed?

Looks great, not having to trim much excess definitely helps...on a 15-16lb Costco prime I usually have 4-5lbs of trim. Some of that I can grind for burgers, but a lot of it is just hard fat and I don't need THAT much tallow.

I see the 12-14lb label, but what did yours end up weighing untrimmed?

Thanks! I didn't weigh them before or after, but I had about 1/3 of the trim I would normally have with a Costco one. There was a mix up and I received (4) total, but (2) were the 12-14lb competition grade, when the sale price was for 10-12lb non-comp primes. The non-comp primes are actually more aggressively trimmed. The customer rep told me they leave extra fat on for the comp guys. I actually preferred how the non-comps looked pretrim.

Thanks! I didn't weigh them before or after, but I had about 1/3 of the trim I would normally have with a Costco one. There was a mix up and I received (4) total, but (2) were the 12-14lb competition grade, when the sale price was for 10-12lb non-comp primes. The non-comp primes are actually more aggressively trimmed. The customer rep told me they leave extra fat on for the comp guys. I actually preferred how the non-comps looked pretrim.

For the non-comp Primes, is that something you had to talk to them to get info on? I went to their website but I don't see anything on them. They only list the comp grade Primes and Prime grade flats.

I'm also curious about your opinion on how they compare to the American Wagu briskets from Costco. I just picked one up today and it will be the first American Wagu I'm trying. I'm really looking at it more like a high end Prime though.. not a true Wagu like a SRF etc. and it seems priced more in line with that as well.

For the non-comp Primes, is that something you had to talk to them to get info on? I went to their website but I don't see anything on them. They only list the comp grade Primes and Prime grade flats.

I'm also curious about your opinion on how they compare to the American Wagu briskets from Costco. I just picked one up today and it will be the first American Wagu I'm trying. I'm really looking at it more like a high end Prime though.. not a true Wagu like a SRF etc. and it seems priced more in line with that as well.

They are only available when they run their sales, so they must have removed them from their site until the next sale. I’ve only cooked one Creekstone prime and never tried the Costco wagyu so can’t answer that. I’ve cooked several SRF golds and this Creekstone was just as good, but again I’ve only cooked one. I have three SRF golds in the freezer and another Creekstone, so I’ll have a better idea after cooking those what I prefer.

Thats really pricey. My local Costco doesn't carry Prime Brisket. They don't even Carry Whole packers period. But Sams sells decent Prime whole packers for $3.78/lb ish. No where near that marbling, but if done right, there's no justification for paying premium prices for waygu.

In 2019 my Costco had "Master Chef Creekstone farms" prime briskets for 3.49/lbs. I confirmed the packer number. I always check it when shopping and when smoking. Of course that lightning has never struck again.

They haven't had any prime for quite a while. The meat manager hasn't been able to get them. Sams has them.

In 2019 my Costco had "Master Chef Creekstone farms" prime briskets for 3.49/lbs. I confirmed the packer number. I always check it when shopping and when smoking. Of course that lightning has never struck again.

They haven't had any prime for quite a while. The meat manager hasn't been able to get them. Sams has them.

I am kinda glad these "cheat briskets" were never available in my state. I learned how to cook on choice for years before even Sam's started selling Prime. Never had a Prime that didn't turn out perfect. Ive seen soo many overcooked Prime and even Waygu briskets from members on this forum.

Back