Well, I pharked up a brisket

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So, my inaugural smoke on my LSG was a bit disappointing. Not a fault of the cooker, but most certainly the operator. Trimmed the 11lb brisket a day ahead of time. The brisket itself was a bit funky, as the flat was really curvy, wide, and had a good scalp on the fat cap. I trimmed it down to try and mitigate that. Anyway, basic 2 parts Pepper, 1 part salt, and half part Lawry's.

53539878935_acbdfd1139_b.jpg

The plan was 250F for 4 hours, then check, pour out any juice pulling, and let it sit for another 4 hours and check to wrap (foil boat), then let it ride to 195ish and put in turkey roaster overnight at 150 until time to server.

I put the meat on at 10am, thinking around 10ish PM it would be ready to throw in the roaster. The meat was placed dead center bottom rack with my fireboard ambient air probe right next to it, point side facing the fire, Fat cap UP, showing ~250F like the tel-tru.

53539878890_6d37dc3e0c_b.jpg

After 4 hours I check things...bark looks good, juice pooling up exactly where I thought it would be, dump that, close the chamber and try to boost temps to 275F here on out. Everything looked and felt like a normal brisket cook.

53539878920_d2bfbfed86_b.jpg

Then things got bad....

3 hours later I check the brisket again, hoping it'd be close to 175F ish (at least in the point) so I can wrap. So I probe the point and flat in a few different spots, and the damn thing was reading between 207-209 in both point and flat! So being 7 or so hours in my proposed 12 ish hour cook, it's "done", like done done, no wrap....made it through the stall all by itself.

So, I decided to throw the last log I had warmed up, wrap in foil boat, and let it ride til the cooker hit about 150 or so...After that I threw it in the roaster til service time. When I pulled it the fat cap was to be expected, nice and pillowy with some bark on it....the side were crisped up good...like too good...and the bottom was absolutely scorched.

Next, my idea was to throw some tallow at the bottom of the foil boat in hopes to soften the bottom while it's in the warmer. I think it helped a little, but that thing was beyond fixing 100%

How did it go? Well, my lovely wife decided to invite over a bunch of people for this grandiose event, so no pressure right? Wouldn't you believe it, they at the whole damn thing, event the REALLY "burnt ends".

I'll agree, taste was there for sure. Texture, mouth feel, and the bottom were NOT.

Sorry, no pics of final product, I was pretty much ticked off I had to slice the damn thing in front of a bunch of people.

So, where did I go wrong? A few thoughts

• Brisket placement. Perhaps way to much radiant heat from the tuning plates? or the tuning plates not in the right spots? (I left them as is from previous owner, stating it cooked even, and I had no reason to not belive him). They COULD have moved when it was transported, but honestly they look like they didn't budge at all. Perhaps I should have put the meat on the 2nd rack.
  • Fat side up? I tried to do this like one would in a horizontal offset. Perhaps the heat was coming from the bottom so much so it was just hammering the meat side more than the fat cap?

• It was a mistake bumping up the temp from 250 to 275. I'm finding out she like to be at 250, and with the coal bed I had and splits, it was challenging to keep her constant at 275+. This is a learning thing for me, but I think my splits were too small based on my research (length and width).
  • I don't think the tel-tru and my fireboard were both off so much, so I don't believe I was running high temps or was using inaccurate thermometers.

• Tuning plates? I should've done more tests on the cooker before the brisket, but life gets in the way and...well...yeah. From what I can tell, the plates are not adjusted to manufacturer spec. Like I said earlier, previous owner set them like that and said it's cooking even. No fault of his at all, but that's the info I was going on.

53539456821_65022e38dc_b.jpg

Next steps:

1. BISCUIT TEST! This is a must to get a better idea of how things cook, and I should have done this before. :doh: I guess I like to learn things the hard way.

2. Better coal bed. I feel I started off with too small a coal bed. Full lit chimney and then I added like 1 or 2 small/medium splits of wood. After a while I noticed my coal bed (to me) wasn't large enough and I was adding wood faster than I should've.

Anyway, was hoping to get some input from the brethren and share my experiences hoping it helps me and others out in the future. Thanks for looking!

Don't be too hard on yourself .... did they eat the whole thing just to make you feel good ? or was sneaking bites to a dog involved ? Give it another shot ..... without the crowd ...

Is it possible the warmer made it crispy and overcooked it? Finishing internal temp may have been a bit high for a 250* cook temp, but if it was probing tender then it’s probably not a big deal. I usually try to pull my briskets a shade on the “not quite done” side of “done” if I know I’ll be doing an extended active hold. I also make sure the IT comes down to less than 160 and hopefully about 150 before I place it in my warmer at 145*. Is it possibly you just overcooked it in the hot hold?

Sorry for your brisket "loss" Adam.

Few things,

Never place the brisket at the bottom rack on the LSG. Way too much radiant heat. I usually hang it before the wrap if I do wrap. You should have sausage hooks in the main chamber for hanging. If I don't hang then I place in on the middle rack or the second from the bottom rack.

n4hbmTmh.jpg

T92sRxrh.jpg

Next, you need to adjust and bring your tuning plates in tighter. That's too much space in between the plates. LSG has directions on their site on how to tune them IIRC. If you can't find it I should have a copy of the instructions Chris sent me.

Lastly, I haven't gone more than 7 hours total cook time on a brisket in the LSG. My average time is 5-6 hours at 275*. It's a vertical so the draft on the LSG is much much more efficient than traditional horizontal offsets.

Also your dial temps are just an indicators. They vary depending if your tel tru stems are 2" or 4". I use the dial temps as a guide only.

That's all I remember at the moment.

Apart from the good advice here, that brisket was on the smaller side to start with, so less forgiving for what was supposed to be a long cook and hold time. You might want to go 15 pounds minimum. What's wrong with lephtovers, right?

Live and learn, Adam. I'll bet your guests would have nothing but good things to say about it.

You'll learn this cooker and I have no doubt that some killer cooks are in your future. :-D

"previous owner set them like that and said it's cooking even."

Seems like it was tuned perfectly if the point and flat were the same temp. Try the top rack next time.

Is it possible the warmer made it crispy and overcooked it? Finishing internal temp may have been a bit high for a 250* cook temp, but if it was probing tender then it’s probably not a big deal. I usually try to pull my briskets a shade on the “not quite done” side of “done” if I know I’ll be doing an extended active hold. I also make sure the IT comes down to less than 160 and hopefully about 150 before I place it in my warmer at 145*. Is it possibly you just overcooked it in the hot hold?

Suds, thanks for the feedback. The only reason why I don't believe that 100% is because when I did the foil boat, the sides and bottom were pretty crispy. There is a plausible chance I didn't wait long enough for it to cool down and throw in my warmer. I am fairly certain the bottom and sides were torched prior to the warmer. That was the idea of adding tallow to the bottom of the foil boat; in hopes it would soften up. It could've made the situation worse, but it was pretty bad beforehand.

Thank you all for the feedback, fellas. I truly do appreciate it.

Sako, your information is extremely helpful, and I will be doing those next cook for sure. And just by watching this thing cook, this thing drafts like a mofo. Definitely doing the next cook on 2nd rack or above.

Which leads me to my next question; what is the bottom rack good for, cooking-wise?

My temp dial gauges always seem
30-50* degrees off.

As mentioned above that might be the culprit. Your cook time tells most of the story.

But on the positive side… seems like your guest enjoyed.

I’ve started to enjoy smoking/cooking more as I put less pressure on myself to “knock it out of the park” or “wow” the guest.

I’m trying to lighten up and enjoy the moment and company and some solid food. My ego doesn’t need to be stroked (but we all like it… but that’s pride best stamped down)

It was probably better than what you described esp if your guest liked it. Definitely do the Biscuit Test and you might want to put some oven thermometers in the smoker to see how hot some areas are and to test the smokers thermometers
It is also your first cook. Give yourself some slack

Which leads me to my next question; what is the bottom rack good for, cooking-wise?

The right side of the bottom shelf on my Shirleys are where I liked to cook chicken. That corner was a little hotter anyway due to the firebox entering the cook chamber there, and the reverse flow plate had some radiant effect as well, particularly on the hotter end.

You can cook chicken, sausage, links etc. Once you dial in the tuning plates, you won't have any charring issues on the bottom rack. Only other hotspot is right by the double stacks since it drafts crazy. Not by much though so just make sure to keep the area on the very top rack by the stacks free.

Thank you all for the feedback, fellas. I truly do appreciate it.

Sako, your information is extremely helpful, and I will be doing those next cook for sure. And just by watching this thing cook, this thing drafts like a mofo. Definitely doing the next cook on 2nd rack or above.

Yep! Pretty accurate. I run it at 325 but realistically it runs about 275*. So running at 275 is actually running it at 225 to 250. It's a big box so you won't get precise temps unless you hook up a maverick themometer or whatever people use nowadays.

In reality though it cooks pretty damn even. When I loaded it fully I don't every flip or rotate. Load it in and take it out at the end of the cook.

IJJqzEzh.jpg

Chicken at the very bottom rack

NaGgkCfh.jpg

All but the fried chicken cooked on the LSG. (actually a lot more than seen in the pics)

gi5bfShh.jpg

My temp dial gauges always seem
30-50* degrees off.

As mentioned above that might be the culprit. Your cook time tells most of the story.

But on the positive side… seems like your guest enjoyed.

I’ve started to enjoy smoking/cooking more as I put less pressure on myself to “knock it out of the park” or “wow” the guest.

I’m trying to lighten up and enjoy the moment and company and some solid food. My ego doesn’t need to be stroked (but we all like it… but that’s pride best stamped down)

Back