THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SVTNate

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Nate
I did a rack of St. Louis ribs earlier this week. Typical 3-2-1, BBQ rub, foil with some liquid and more rub or brown sugar, baste with Rib Candy the last 15 minutes.

We've all done some variant of this a million and a half times.

Any suggestions on something a bit unorthodox? Of course my ribs taste great, but I'm going to cook the other rack this weekend, and I'd like to have some fun with it.

The last round I changed it up a bit. My normal rib routine is season, and cook unwrapped until they are done.

This time I seasoned with Oakridge Chile Lime, and then I wrapped with margarita mix, and glazed with Kosmos Pineapple Jalapeno. I've never glazed before, but we loved how they turned out.

Cure them, i.e. bacon on a stick. Maybe use some pickling/corning spice as suggested; I really like dill pickling spices myself. Overnight pretty much does it, but 3 days for STL and 7 for a full slab to be safe.

zWDmndN.jpeg

Don't necessarily have to smoke them, either. Braising or ^corned ribs and cabbage is always a hit

I use 5-Spice and Szechuan peppercorns frequently too, and a lot of extra heat (crushed thai birds or chile de arbol so they "paprika" quality of cayenne doesn't dominate)

Dry is always a change. About 4hrs at 250 for STL, usually. Full have a lot more variance.

Wrapping with thai green curry powder/paste, and mopping throughout with chiles and lime juice is another favorite of mine

Make your own rubs if you don't already, and play with different liquids in the wrap. I like spicy strawberry jam (gochujang works great), spicy apple butter, or hot dill pickle/pepper juice in particular

How about grilled? Salt /Pepper - over direct (but not flame licking) heat. Very good- but won't have the same texture.

I'm about "smoked out" - if I don't see another brisket, or butt (EASYYYY) anytime soon, I'm ok with it. Gonna spend some time getting reacquainted with my weber 22 and my Sm this summer - and ribs will figure in there with chicken and steak and chops.

I make these "Armenian" ribs every so often, pretty darn good-definitely different!

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup hoisin
5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp clove

~Cheers

I make a Huli Huli Rib with spares, sweet and a little tangy. Marinate in Huli sauce over night after a SPOG rub which sat for a couple of hours. Then during the wrap, a light coating of Huli. Than, when done a double glaze un-wraped. A little time consuming, but everyone Loves them!!

Not really a recipe, but if you haven't tried using Peach wood for smoke flavor on pork products, I highly recommend you give it a try. I know BnB sells Peach chunks and chips, not sure if they are available in So Cal though.

B8SYL3Y.jpeg

zGzX88C.jpeg

(2wk cure)

Decided to throw some pickling spice (mustard, allspice, coriander, cinnamon, bay leaf, ginger, red pepper) in the coffee grinder, with a lot of black pepper, for tonight's dinner

Back