Vacation ribs

dietmar239

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I'm planning our annual trip to OBX for later in the year. I've always been able to use whatever equipment our vacation house has to smoke some ribs. Wondering if you have any feedback regarding this open grill and what adaptations I would need.

I'm thinking I'd bring a rib rack (I'll cook three slabs) and scoot the coals to one side. Perhaps a piece of plywood across the top. Any ideas about the front of the pit? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• vacation grill.jpg
    vacation grill.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 209
I would just make a pit with sheet metal and move the grate up. Sheet metal on the front with a way to control air flow and a piece on the top with a whole for exhaust. You will be wrapping early.

If you bought a large, aluminum roaster pan and inverted it over the ribs, would that work for you?

I do a lot of open fire/indirect heat rib cooks. No lid needed.
I just keep the heat on one side and the ribs go on the low heat side. I flip and rotate the meat, add more wood when needed.
Depending on the wind and outside air temperature, spares take about 6 hours and beef ribs around 5 hours.

vrMRPrU.jpg

qbAK627.jpg

49JPB6g.jpg

I do a lot of open fire/indirect heat rib cooks. No lid needed.
I just keep the heat on one side and the ribs go on the low heat side. I flip and rotate the meat, add more wood when needed.
Depending on the wind and outside air temperature, spares take about 6 hours and beef ribs around 5 hours.

vrMRPrU.jpg

qbAK627.jpg

49JPB6g.jpg

Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the advice!

I have a good friend that has used a Weber kettle lid on similar open grates with great success. I have seen him move the coals underneath and/or wood splits for direct heat or indirect heat variations. He has done ribs, turkeys, chickens, pork shoulders, beef chuck and more with very good results.

Back