THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chelnerul

Found some matches.
Brethren,

I recently went through my entire horde of Rockwood lump charcoal the other day. I bought a few hundred dollars worth of their excellent 20 lb bags many many years ago and stored them in shelving in the shed and am now out. Back then, they were $20/bag and shipping was free for over $100 orders.

In order to prepare for a baseball party, I went over to our excellent local Ace hardware store, and they had a really stellar selection of lump (Fogo, Rockwood, Kamado Joe, etc) and briquettes (B&B), but my bill was over $100 for one bag of Rockwood and two small bags of oak B&B.

I know inflation is raging and has doubled the cost of most products over the past few years, so I am probably extremely late to the New Normal, but I was wondering where you get the best lump or briquette deals online or in person? Is $35/bag of 20lbs the new normal for quality lump? $20/bag for 10lb bags of B&B?

Many thanks all, I need to update my current understanding of the world...

Contact them directly, order a pallet, and split with some buddies. I would not try to ship lump charcoal unless it was done on a pallet, personally. Gets tossed around way too much, which is how all those small pieces happen.

I buy my charcoal at Ace and wait for their $5 off $20 coupons for reward members. I just buy one bag at a time. It works because it's less than a half mile from my house.

Contact them directly, order a pallet, and split with some buddies. I would not try to ship lump charcoal unless it was done on a pallet, personally. Gets tossed around way too much, which is how all those small pieces happen.

I like this approach but I can't afford to buy a palette at a time though, otherwise this would be my preferred course of action.

I buy my charcoal at Ace and wait for their $5 off $20 coupons for reward members. I just buy one bag at a time. It works because it's less than a half mile from my house.

In your experience how often do they do this? I was shocked at the price inflation I saw at Ace. I don't blame them, I understand how surreal this economy has become, but I was genuinely surprised at the price increases.

If there's an Academy Sports within driving distance, they have much better pricing than Ace. My local Academy stocks B&B lump and briquettes, Jealous Devil, and occasionally has other brands.

My go-to is B&B for both lump and briquettes; Academy almost always had oak and usually has hickory.

I agree with another poster; my experience with single bag shipping has been fraught with lots of charcoal dust and fragments.

Yes, try Academy. They sell B&B lump 20 lb bags for $15
Homedepot in my area had been selling JealousDevil 20 lb bags for $20, even though the online price was $24. I shoulda bought more cause now it really is $24.

Back