THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charny

Full Fledged Farker
I recently picked up a 22" WSM and need to lay in a supply of charcoal while the sales are on - limited as they are. I'd appreciate opinions on the following options (any I'm missing?):

For free shipping at $35 (not in my local store):
Walmart has B&B Charcoal 17.6 lb All-Natural Oak Charcoal Briquets, $9.97 for 17.6 lbs ($.57/lbs)

Walmart has Cowboy Hardwood Charcoal Briquets, 20 Pounds Each for $17.92 ($.45/lbs)
(the price on that one sometimes changes in my cart and tries to go up to $27.59. That is very frustrating BS - I was about to place an order this AM). And hopefully not too busted from shipping.

Costco:
I tried Kingsford Pro in my kettle. It's good - low ash, but burns a bit quick. The Costco sale goes through Jul 2 and is 2X 18 lbs bags for 24.69, minus $6.20 = $18.49. That's $.514/lbs.

"Cowboy Oak and Hickory" lump, 34 lbs, for $26. That's .764. A bit pricey, but it is not on sale.

Royal oak is an option, but my past experience is it makes a lot of ash that clogs grates.

Some prefer the B&B, others say it stinks. I also read duraflame bought them a couple years back, so maybe it has changed. Most say they prefer the consistency of briquettes in the WSM, while a few prefer the cleaner flavor of lump.

I know many swear by the KBB. Local sales aren't any less expensive than the KP.

The cowboy briqs look like the sweet spot.

Thanks!

This is the price change. When I had charcoal in my cart and came back the next day, the price increased from $18.52 to $27.59. And when I viewed the item, it would only show me the higher price.

I had to start a different browser to get the old price. This behavior repeated. The ole 'try and get the sucker to pay more'. "Oh? Dd I say $18.52? I don't think I did! I was sure I said the price was $27.59!"

Attachments

i prefer the B&B the one place in central ohio(the center of the known bbq univers) rural king is completly out of it there answer the home office dose the ordering therfore a bad answer is better than no answer at all

Back