Been hangin' around...

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
...my food, in the drum, that is. I cured some belly bacon using a couple Duroc bellies I had in the freezer and needed to use. Kind of a maple bourbon thing going on with these.

Some bourbon for the cook

The bellies after spending a little over a week in the fridge curing

The cook drank all the Maker's Mark used in the cure, so Old Forester was used as a maple bourbon glaze before it went into the drum for a cold smoke

Hung in the drum with the pellet tube, it was pretty cold here that day, and they spent about 5 hours hanging

Hand sliced, nice marbling and meat:fat ratio

Another day I decided to cook some ribs that were in the freezer and needed to go. I'd trimmed these up prior to freezing, so it was thaw > season > cook.

Ran them at 250* hung for 2 hours, then foiled and cranked up the heat to a little over 275* and finished a little over an hour later

No finished pics, sorry! I moved the drum into my basement with a walkout patio, so I've been cooking on it more often now that it's out of the garage/front yard.

:thumb:

Looks great! Would you mind helping to explain the pellet tube? If love to make bacon but only have a WSM. Thanks in advance.

I'm using it to cold smoke - for one, because I sold my Mak 2* grill and don't have an easy way to do lower temp (170*) smokes like I used to, and two - I do seem to like the results better from a texture perspective, in that it's not "cooked" like the 170* method is.

Your hard work looks to have paid off in some incredible looking eats! Fantastic job!

Ever put the bacon into the curing vessel? Once it's less squishy it's a very pleasant snack right alongside your other charcuterie.
You would cut it into chicklet or sugar cube size pieces. Much bigger and it becomes a task to chew.

It’s pretty self explanatory lol….I minimized the amount that the intake and exhaust were open and maintained that temp. If you’re having problems with high temps my recommendation would be to start with a smaller fire and gradually work your way up to the desired temp, begin cutting back airflow once you’re within 15 to 20 degrees. I just light a small spot in the center with a torch and let it burn its way outward from there.

I like the 2 hook method. Last month I had a belly fall in my drum. Thankfully I was right there and saved it, but it could have been a disaster.

Back