Smoker for outdoor kitchen

AirKuhl

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Pete
I'm looking for ideas for a smoker that will be integrated into an outdoor kitchen.

I have a Memphis pellet smoker now and I have to use a pellet tube and even then it's more a "smoked sausage" level of smoke instead of a Texas brisket level. It's good, but I grew up on central TX style BBQ.

I had a Klose BYC years ago that was amazing, but now I need something smaller that will look integrated.

Things I care about:
Temp controller. I want to throw a brisket on there and go boating all day.
Able to be integrated somehow into a pretty outdoor kitchen.
Produces a full smoked flavor profile without using pellet tubes or other crutches.

Things I don't care about:
Can be electric, pellet, gravity feed charcoal, whatever. I'm not a purist I just want results.
Cost. This is a bucket list thing and probably the last smoker I'll buy.

So far the frontrunner is the Kalamazoo smoker cabinet. Looks perfect and gets good reviews. And it better for that price. But it looks hard to clean and adding more smoking wood looks like a pain, so love to hear some ideas.
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVybad7vk84

I saw that a few months back and thought it was pretty neat, and looked the part in an ODK, but it's almost too fancy, as in complicated and could run into issues.

Would you be interested in a Kamado Joe? They look good in most kitchens, and in the big Joe 24" model can hold a full brisket, which is fine for most, and it can be had with a lot of accessories, such as pizza, rotisserie, etc. Smoking Dad BBQ stated that with his double in-direct method and the slow roller, he came close to his offset in flavor.

I had an extra-large (23") Saffire Kamado, and I loved it, but wanted a big offset for bigger cooks. Wish I never sold it to a coworker, because I loved it more than the 26" Kettle I replaced it with for quick hot and fast meals when I can't use the offset. I got really good flavor when I had the bottom intake almost all the way closed, and left the top vent all the way open. This would let the fire burn clean, but with minimal air to make a raging fire, and the exhaust open vented the kamado quickly, taking some heat with it and all non-combustibles out fast so they didn't smolder on the food.

If I got another kamado, I would go for a Kamado Joe Big Joe III due to aftermarket support and accessories, and being a better flavor than other cookers besides an offset.

Is this something you would consider? Or do you need something bigger?

I saw that a few months back and thought it was pretty neat, and looked the part in an ODK, but it's almost too fancy, as in complicated and could run into issues.

Would you be interested in a Kamado Joe? They look good in most kitchens, and in the big Joe 24" model can hold a full brisket, which is fine for most, and it can be had with a lot of accessories, such as pizza, rotisserie, etc. Smoking Dad BBQ stated that with his double in-direct method and the slow roller, he came close to his offset in flavor.

I had an extra-large (23") Saffire Kamado, and I loved it, but wanted a big offset for bigger cooks. Wish I never sold it to a coworker, because I loved it more than the 26" Kettle I replaced it with for quick hot and fast meals when I can't use the offset. I got really good flavor when I had the bottom intake almost all the way closed, and left the top vent all the way open. This would let the fire burn clean, but with minimal air to make a raging fire, and the exhaust open vented the kamado quickly, taking some heat with it and all non-combustibles out fast so they didn't smolder on the food.

If I got another kamado, I would go for a Kamado Joe Big Joe III due to aftermarket support and accessories, and being a better flavor than other cookers besides an offset.

Is this something you would consider? Or do you need something bigger?

Thanks for the ideas. I actually have a Classic Joe II at the main house. IMO it's a great charcoal grill, and with enough technique and effort can also be a decent smoker. But it's not temp controlled (unless you mod it) and I can't get mine to go low enough for jerky or cheese.

Thought I'd liven up the thread with a few pics.

Pork butt on a Memphis Grills pellet smoker.
Along with some ABT's with a pineapple habanero dip and wife's Carolina style coleslaw.

Attachments

• IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 82
Lonestar Grillz Pellet Grill/Smoker would be my second choice, or their new Pellet Cabinet if you need a lot of room. It also has a "cold smoke" setting for cheeses and such. I have their large IVS as well, so maybe the smallest one if you don't need a lot of food, but don't know how low it can go without using water in the pan. It also is all black, so may not be the most talkative piece in the kitchen, but also not the ugliest.

I really want to try the LSG pellet grill/smoker with the 50/50 pellets and wood.

Lonestar Grillz Pellet Grill/Smoker would be my second choice, or their new Pellet Cabinet if you need a lot of room. It also has a "cold smoke" setting for cheeses and such. I have their large IVS as well, so maybe the smallest one if you don't need a lot of food, but don't know how low it can go without using water in the pan. It also is all black, so may not be the most talkative piece in the kitchen, but also not the ugliest.

I really want to try the LSG pellet grill/smoker with the 50/50 pellets and wood.

I've been looking at their Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker, that one should be easy enough to integrate into the countertops.

Back