XL Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I have decided that instead of getting a new pellet smoker, a BGE would be more versatile and produce better smoke and flavor, especially on steaks, burgers, etc. I have no experience with them so do you guys and ladies have opinions between them?

I am not interested in cost difference because I would get accessories for the BGE that would pretty much match the KJ cost-wise.

Thanks in advance

I have a Summit, while it doesn’t have all the accessories the KJE or Green Egg it’s a fantastic cooker, does everything my old Kamado did with no fear of ceramics breaking. I do all of my grilling on it since I have other smokers but I have used it for smoking in the past with excellent results, my favorite feature is having the ability to adjust your charcoal level. I purchased an extra charcoal grate so I have one on the very bottom for smoking or when I do chicken over an open flame & then have one on the level directly under the cooking grate so I can use the Weber baskets for two zone cooking, it’s a beast.

Warranty work can be a nightmare depending how good your BGE dealer is and if they understand how it works. Kamado Joe will ship replacement parts to your door.

I've had my BGE for 14 years and it has been absolutely fantastic if you have a good dealer. It's a pain if you don't. They're pretty much the same grill/smoker with a lifetime warranty. Kamado Joe wasn't around when I purchased my first BGE. Given the ease of Kamado Joe warranty work it would be hard to pass up if I was looking for one in today's market.

Warranty on the Big Joe was pretty easy. Took a little extra time because it was during the Rona. They've also changed their design a bit. No more one piece firebox, if it breaks, they only need to send you a smaller piece.

ZMPhZ3ol.jpg

Warranty work can be a nightmare depending how good your BGE dealer is and if they understand how it works. Kamado Joe will ship replacement parts to your door.

I've had my BGE for 14 years and it has been absolutely fantastic if you have a good dealer. It's a pain if you don't. They're pretty much the same grill/smoker with a lifetime warranty. Kamado Joe wasn't around when I purchased my first BGE. Given the ease of Kamado Joe warranty work it would be hard to pass up if I was looking for one in today's market.

I do have an authorized gold-level dealer not too far from me who will even deliver and install the XL BGE. One thing that I like about it is that they have an acacia, and other table options, instead of just the small shelves.

I am, however, a little concerned about what I have been seeing in reviews of how the dome does not always fit correctly on the base of BGE. When the lid is closed. it can overhang in the front. One guy had an overhang of 3/4", and had a constant battle with the seal taking on moisture and freezing so he could not open the lid. That is not good!!! The KJ is supposed to have a much better hinge mechanism. Has anyone had an issue with this?

I have a KJ1, the hinge is similar to a BGE, let it go and the lid slams down. The KJ2 & KJ3 have a hinge that will keep the lid stationary in whatever position you put it. As for freezing shut, buy a Cajun Dragon or similar fire starter. The felt seal on mine always gets wet and freezes shut in the Chicago winters. Keep meaning to replace it with the newer fiberglass seal from the KJ2/3 but I'm lazy, fire up the dragon, unfrozen in about a minute or two, as a bonus lump starts up pretty quickly. Not sure if the fiberglass seal fixes the freezing issue.

I do have an authorized gold-level dealer not too far from me who will even deliver and install the XL BGE.

Deliver and install is one thing. Helping the consumer long after they have your money is another. I'd talk with the dealer and see how often they have to deal with warranty work. You'll often find dealers saying that you need to take up warranty work with Big Green Egg and Big Green Egg headquarters will say that you need to go through a dealer. They end up pointing fingers at one another. A good dealer will process your warranty work if they know what they're doing and get you a replacement. Unfortunately most dealers don't have any clue what they are doing. I've had super pleasant experiences and other times they've looked at me cross-eyed as if I was talking in a foreign language. I've been told from BGE dealers straight up that they don't do warranty work. So be cautious and ask the dealer prior on how warranty works. Big Green Egg just brought in a new CEO the last couple months. It will be interesting to see how and where things go from here. I love my Big Green Egg but working with "authorized dealers" is a mess.

Deliver and install is one thing. Helping the consumer long after they have your money is another. I'd talk with the dealer and see how often they have to deal with warranty work. You'll often find dealers saying that you need to take up warranty work with Big Green Egg and Big Green Egg headquarters will say that you need to go through a dealer. They end up pointing fingers at one another. A good dealer will process your warranty work if they know what they're doing and get you a replacement. Unfortunately most dealers don't have any clue what they are doing. I've had super pleasant experiences and other times they've looked at me cross-eyed as if I was talking in a foreign language. I've been told from BGE dealers straight up that they don't do warranty work. So be cautious and ask the dealer prior on how warranty works. Big Green Egg just brought in a new CEO the last couple months. It will be interesting to see how and where things go from here. I love my Big Green Egg but working with "authorized dealers" is a mess.

I am becoming frustrated already. there are some very bad reviews by people who say that KJ's customer service is absolutely nonexistent. There are likewise, poeple who have had terrible experiences with BGE.

I appreciate your advice and will most certainly look into it. I have bought quite a few things over the years from the dealer that I mentioned and they have always been great to work with. I will ask what their experience has been like with BGE and if they help with warranty work and customer service. My guess is, they would be right there for their customers. It is a small family-owned business that has been around forever and has a good reputation for serving its customers well. I will see what I can find out. The CEO thing could go either way. There's not much we can do about that other than shine up our crystal ball. Thanks again for the heads up.

Reviews
Pay zero attention during Covid shutdown. Lots of customers experienced parts shortages on about every make and model of everything, including cookers. Absolutely everyone in my family has a BGE, except me. Not one of them has experienced bad CS. All are pleased and their BGE's are 10-20 years old, Large . As well they supplement now with TOL Traeger. The only thing I've heard any of them say is they wished their BGE's came in an oval configuration.
If only a ceramc were imade in an extra large oval.

Egg

I’ve had great luck with BGE dealers. Bought my egg used in 2001 and any time I need a component-typically firebox related, they put it on their next order. I also buy charcoal from them regularly and probably pay more than big box stores but it’s all an exchange.

I have the BGE XL

I bought a BGE XL a number of years ago.

Today, to me it would be a coin flip as to which I'd get. Since Costco seems to have at least one event a year with KJ....I'd likely get the KJ at a good price.

At the time I got mine, the BGE XL was the slightly better deal and since I only own a 2-seater car....delivery was big deal and they did that for me...assembled and delivered.

I am glad I got the XL....I use the KJ (Big Joe?) rotisserie on mine and do bone-in standing rib roast on it every Thanksgiving.

Since aftermarket pieces are mostly interchangeable between the two brands...I say go which the best deal.

I was in Lowe's the other day...and geez, if I had spare cash.

Their floor demo Big Joe KJ cooker was on sale for like $800 or so. A STEAL.

Anyway...I tell most people when they ask....flip a coin or see which one gives you the better deal.

AND..also, wait for sales if at all possible.

If you're a Costco member, the KJ may be your best option.

HTH,

cayenne

I have a Large BGE for over 14 yrs and Love it. I can smoke salmon and fatties at 150 and sear steaks at over 600. Holds Temps and uses very little lump charcoal. I do most of my cooking on a raised grate and have done 2 bone in bosto butts several times- 17-20 lbs total Wt We use to have some people from Alaska with a BGE. They cooked all winter with no problems

I have an XL BGE and I can attest to warranty work. I had to replace my base and firebox recently and the process was painless.

I do want to be clear....

I really do like my Big Green Egg. It sounds like I'm bad mouthing them but that's not my intent. I've owned 9 Big Green Eggs over the last 14 years. I've drank the Kool Aid. I'm a daily contributor on the BGE forum. There are people who have owned their BGE for 15+ years and never had to make a warranty claim. I've seen others make 6 warranty claims for their base in 4 years.

The warranty process is a known issue with BGE. If you have a good dealer that makes a world of difference. Two of the three Big Green Egg dealerships I've purchased Big Green Eggs have either closed or stopped carrying BGE's. I have another dealer that will take care of me but others aren't so lucky. Just imagine trying to track down a new dealer and have to ask them for warranty work and they haven't made a dime off you as you purchased the BGE elsewhere. They might not be the most helpful or understand how the warranty works. Big Green Egg has put themselves into this predicament with "certified dealers". All you need to do with Kamado Joe is register your grill, take a photo, submit your warranty claim, and wait for it to ship to your door. Pretty easy concept in today's world.

You'll be happy with whatever you decide on. A good dealer will make a world of difference with the BGE.

Back