YS640 help - bottom of food drying out

ChooQ

I have owned my ys640 for many years and had many successful cooks on it. Overall love the machine. That said, I have noticed that it will dry out (sometimes burn) the bottom of the food sometimes, especially on longer cooks. I almost always cook at a temperature between 225 and 250 and cook all food on the top rack. I’ve done some searching on the internet, and I think it might be the radiant heat coming off the heat diffuser that may potentially be causing the bottom of the food to dry out/burn.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any solutions? I’m thinking about either putting an aluminum tray on the bottom rack to act as a heat shield between the food and the heat diffuser or trying a water pan. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Interesting. I have heard Yoder owners complain about this when doing long low n slows on the lower grate, but never the top grate. I would start with simple and just use a sheet of aluminum foil on the main grate, under your food on the top grate. That should diffuse a lot of the radiant heat coming from the heat diffuser/drip plate. It also makes cleanup a breeze as you can simply wad up the foil and toss after your cook. If you also need to use the main grate for larger cooks I would foil the heat diffuser itself as that will still diffuse some of that radiant heat.

Interested to see a few actual Yoder owners chime in.

I don't have a nice Yoder but a Pit Boss. First thing I did was a biscuit test to know my hot spots. Learned for the price of two cans of grands to use the top shelf as much as possible for longer low smokes (ribs, brisket, butts) if not top shelf use bottom shelf far left. If having to use bottom right use a system where it's on a grate on top of water pan. Fast smoked, chicken, salmon, pork tenders doesn't really matter.

Low and slow top shelf, low and fast bottom shelf.

All for the price of biscuits. Ate those with Kerrygold and local honey.

Again don't own a Yoder, but believe the biscuit test is universal. Tastes good too

Interesting. I have heard Yoder owners complain about this when doing long low n slows on the lower grate, but never the top grate. I would start with simple and just use a sheet of aluminum foil on the main grate, under your food on the top grate. That should diffuse a lot of the radiant heat coming from the heat diffuser/drip plate. It also makes cleanup a breeze as you can simply wad up the foil and toss after your cook. If you also need to use the main grate for larger cooks I would foil the heat diffuser itself as that will still diffuse some of that radiant heat.

Interested to see a few actual Yoder owners chime in.

Good call on the aluminum foil on the main grate. I may try that for the next cook.

Water pan, or even ceramic briquets will do a better job of diffusing and evenly spreading the radiant heat.

Or just always put your meats fat side down.:mrgreen:

Come to think of it, I've never smoked on the lower grates. :shock: I always smoke on the top shelf with no issues. Have you tried playing with the damper? How far out to you usually set it at?

Correction. I just remembered that I actually smoked a fresh ham for New Years and didn't have any issues. I did have it in a pan over wire rack though.

y01NFiUh.jpg

2rNTKKbh.jpg

Come to think of it, I've never smoked on the lower grates. :shock: I always smoke on the top shelf with no issues. Have you tried playing with the damper? How far out to you usually set it at?

Another great thought. The damper has been an after thought for me, and I have never messed around with it. How far out do you have yours set?

Another great thought. The damper has been an after thought for me, and I have never messed around with it. How far out do you have yours set?

I have it extended out almost all the way so I’d say about 12”. I know Yoder says 8” but it all depends what im cooking and how I want the heat to draft. The more the smoker is loaded the farther out I extend the damper for even heat distribution. If im grilling directly then it’s “shut” completely.

I also did the Thanksgiving turkey last year again with great results. Just remembered that as well. I even set the pan directly over the heat diffusor.

sP0dAS4h.jpg

nqY7mo2h.jpg

Last edited:
When I had mine, I always cooked on the top rack and food came out very good...I did scorch the bottom when cooking on bottom rack for sure

I knew nothing about this damper - so I went and looked at their site....
With the damper pushed in about five inches, the cooking grate surface will cook evenly,
creating an ideal environment for slow cooking. For grilling,the damper should be pulled completely open toward the right side of the grill.

Back