Your best and worst BBQ purchases.

Not a purchase, but a gift. My mom knows I like making ribs and BBQing, etc...so she bought me a ribalizer. Which is a fancy foil pan to steam ribs on a gas grill. Never been used, still sitting in the basement.

This right here is the absolute best purchase I've ever made. We picked it up in 2004, brand new right out of the box for $40:

IMG_0272.jpg

Unfortunately, the manufacturer went under in 2007 or so, so parts are hard to come by. I'm actually looking at getting a custom made cooking grate, which won't be cheap, but I plan on using this cooker for the rest of my life.

The runner up would be my Blackstone Pizza oven.

Best: DigiQ DX2 and 22.5 WSM's. Being able to actually get some sleep is unmeasurably valuable. Not to mention that until I had the WSM's I didn't realize how much I was over smoking things on my stick burners.

Worst: Some of the damn near inedible things I've ordered in BBQ joints particularly sausage.

Best Super Fast Thermopen in Desert Tan
Worst Maverick 735 remote thermometer never was happy with it

Best: the Gas I purchased to get to Laredo n Back to pick up my -1 of 2- Old Country Smokehouse....... :heh:

Worst - Big Stupid Orange Silicon Gloves - They SUCK

I got the big orange gloves. Pain to put on and clean, but very handy for pulling out a finished brisket or for rotating meats once they are hot.

My WSM started it all for me. I won a Party Q from this site in the throw downs that has been Excellent!

The worst is a two prong fork that measured temp. It's in some landfill by now I reckon.

Mike, it took me almost two hours to wash all of the crud off of that fork therm. It is one of the greatest finds that I've ever had. Thanks.

Best - A regifted Brinkman my mom gave us after my dad passed - it's what got us started down this crazy road.
Worst - Klose - not because it's not an awesome smoker, just because I am too lazy to babysit a smoker every hour, and I need all the beauty sleep I can get...

My best purchase is a CookShack PG-1000 it's wonderful at grilling, smoking and anything in between. The second best purchase was a CookShack FEC-100.

The absolute worst purchase that I made was a Louisiana Country Smoker CS 570. Neither the factory nor I could keep a fire burning.... Never again.

The worst is a two prong fork that measured temp. It's in some landfill by now I reckon.

That fork is a close runner up for worst for me as well. My worst has to be a cheap AA battery operated motorized wire brush for cleaning grates. A solution looking for a problem no one with functiong arms ever had. I got it as a present and could never bring myself to bother taking it out of the box.

Best is a toss up between the Weber 26in, and the thermapen. Honorable mentions go to my trusty little stainless steel box for woodchips, because it complements the weber so well.

My WSM started it all for me. I won a Party Q from this site in the throw downs that has been Excellent!

Toast I’m with you on that fork thing and yes someone gave me a motorized grill brush also.......geeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORST: Salt Lick Rub. Ugh. Whats in that? 50% caynenne pepper and 50% salt? Its makes anything you put it on inedible. I have bought a lot of terrible rubs before, but its the worst of the worst.

Back