THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best may be my first smoker, it was a brinkman electric and it sucked but it got me into the obsession and now I have a vertical insulated cabinet, a WSM, a $25 Weber Kettle from CL with a cajun bandit smoker insert and a Smokey joe/tamale pot mini that I built.

My worst was a set of the pig tail flippers that are still in the box never been used. Might have to bust those out this summer.

Best purchase: My weber E-470 grill with smoker and rotisserie attachment. Just paid it off from last year LOL! It's all mine now. Used the smoker recently. Have to figure out the rotisserie part next.

Wow! Note to self: Do NOT buy orange silicone gloves!!!

I have some very large silicone mittens that I love. Thick to protect from heat buildup when working with 20+ big hunks of meat, large and loose enough for easy on on and easy off. The smaller cheap orange gloves are terrible. Too hard to get on and off quickly, too thin for extended protection but thick enough to kill dexterity for any task other than moving a hunk of meat.

Best: Lang 84 offset. So much easier to use than the cinder-block smokehouse it replaced. Runner up, Weber Ranch.

Worst: Kingsford professional briquettes. More expensive than KBB but still smokey ash producing junk that I wouldn't use anywhere I wouldn't use regular KBB. To make matters worse, they actually don't burn as evenly or as long as KBB so for how I use briquettes, the expensive ones were inferior.

Numerous best purchases like my LSG offset, the PBC....

WORST PURCHASE: The Blackstone charcoal + kabob rotisserie grill. I ended up giving it to my brother since it was in impulse buy and he hardly has the time to grill but a total of about 10 cooks (literraly) fell apart. Warped, paint burnt, handles, intakes fell off. Total garbage do DO NO BUY! Well at $199 I didn't expect much but come on! He tossed it.

Very good concept but extremely poor execution. I love my griddles and the pizza oven by Blackstone though.

boSFe1nh.png

Numerous best purchases like my LSG offset, the PBC....

WORST PURCHASE: The Blackstone charcoal + kabob rotisserie grill. I ended up giving it to my brother since it was in impulse buy and he hardly has the time to grill but a total of about 10 cooks (literraly) fell apart. Warped, paint burnt, handles, intakes fell off. Total garbage do DO NO BUY! Well at $199 I didn't expect much but come on! He tossed it.

Very good concept but extremely poor execution. I love my griddles and the pizza oven by Blackstone though.

boSFe1nh.png

Wow thank you that was my next purchase! You saved me $200. :clap2:

Wow thank you that was my next purchase! You saved me $200. :clap2:

Glad I got the chance to post it today. Wanted to for a bit but busy. The griddles and the pizza oven absolutely but definitely not this grill. Wish they had built it better and charged more for it than this waste. Great concept though like I said before.

My best was an early 90's model Coleman smoker. About $45. Just like a Brinkman, but had vents you could control. That burned out, went to an 18.5 WSM, and have been smoking since! No worst, it has all been fun since then.

Not sure of best...so many good ones?? Worst is certainly the silicon food gloves that offer zero dexterity for working with food...maybe my new braunfels POS I started on 18 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best: This is a tough one. It's between the GMG Davy Crockett that got me back into BBQ or the Thermapen that is my chicken whisperer
Worst: Smoke Daddy Magnum

It sure sounds like everyone really hates silicon gloves. From what I read, do these not have fingers? I have a pair that are green, have a flannel lining and fingers. These handle meat very well, even for pulling butts. I have had them for probably 5-6 years, so I don't remember where they came from. I wish I could so I could pass it along.

I use cheap welding gloves from Northern tools for handling wood, grates, etc.

That is some funny ****!
It wasn't particularly meant to be. I actually performed a test where I shook out some Bed Byrin's Bat Rib* in my hand, tasted it, and then did the same with the equivalent amount of table salt (yes, I am a sucker for punishment).

There was no doubt that the bat rib was more salty than the salt, or at least that my palate perceived it as being more salty. In the interests of science, I repeated the experiment. At that point my face resembled that of a bulldog getting a prostate exam from Captain Hook, but I came to exactly the same conclusion.

How is that even possible? The rub has very small granules, probably smaller than the table salt but I reckon one or more ingredients in there trigger the salty taste buds harder than actual salt.

*Names changed to protect identities.

Best: Subscription to this site of course any my FEC100. I too bought mine used for a little over half price, 2012 model in 2014, original owner only used it twice.

Worst: Like a lot of other people, those stupid silicone gloves. But technically, they were a gift, so... Possibly the Blackstone. I like it, but that $50 griddle is going to cause hundreds of dollars in damage to my deck if I don't figure out how to keep the grease contained.

I love the blackstone but I agree. Paul Shirley (Tuscaloosa Q) fabricated a more efficient grease drain for it and I sure do wish I lived closer to Alabama so I could ask him to fix mine. For now I have a giant floor mat that I bought at Restaurant Depot with grease stains all over it. Doesn't look too nice but better than destroying the deck.

Back