You don't like what?

I have to go with pulled pork. I don't dislike it, but like Czarbeque said it's usually served too dry. I can smoke a pretty good butt only it makes a lot of protein for 2 people.

And turkey legs. I really enjoy a good state fair leg but have never been able to replicate them.
You have to brine them heavily, basically cure them to get the same flavor.

I wasn't until I started making scratch beans. Still not my favorite but I do look forward to them occasionally.
I have meant to find a good from scratch recipe. Just hasn't happened. Hear good things about Wampus peach beans.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have never had brisket that I wanted more of, but I keep trying it hoping to find what you guys love about it. I have only cooked one it was not even good enough for the dogs...

Even though I like beans, I don't like baked beans. Way too sweet for me.

Not a fan of pulled pork. I prefer my pork sliced....

I haven't done a brisket yet, so not sure what I would think. The brisket that I have tasted, I wasn't fond of. Too dry.

I love chicken. I never liked turkey (also too dry) till I started doing the turkey on the kettle braai. Now it's OK. I just fail to understand why I should pay 3 times the price of chicken. So I stick with chicken.

I really like short ribs.
I like heavily spiced food and a fair bit of variation :wink:

“Fall off the bone” ribs. I love good ribs, but when somebody says they make them so the meat falls right off, I pass. It usually means overcooked mush.

I'll add to the pulled pork vote. Not that I wont eat it, but, it seems like it is just a vehicle for sauce. I I prefer my BBQ naked.

I would also like to take this opportunity to add an observation; 30 posts in and nobody,
zero, nada, have said they don't like bacon.

Bacon rules.

I would have to say a bacon wrapped fatty. Reason is, some of the bacon is flobbity and gross, especially the parts touching the actual meat and under the weave. I tend to drape bacon rather than weave to minimize that, but as cool as it looks, I think cooking the bacon and putting it inside the fatty makes more sense.

Also smoked chicken doesn't really do it for me. Even so called "bite through" skin isn't the same as a spatchcocked bird cooked north of 350 with nice crispy skin and a savory flavor. Most "bbq" chicken is prepared with sweet rubs and sauces which I am not a fan of.

As far as pulled pork goes, I am a firm believer in changing things that don't do it for you. I make pulled pork so many different ways to keep it interesting. My favorite is with a savory rub to mimic the Philly roast pork sandwich. Then serve it on a good roll with some sauteed broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone. Or smoke/roast it at higher heat with a picnic, skin on for some pernil and use it in cuban sandwiches, tacos, etc. Or (forgive me now) don't smoke it at all, braise it in a pot and make carnitas to fry or crisp on the flat top later.

anything with fat still on it. I know fat is flavor and all that but I cant do it. never could and never will.

This one is even hard for me to understand. Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, but I don't like bacon on or mixed into a hamburger.

I don't care for baked beans, I can eat it, but would rather eat something else. I cannot eat cole slaw.

I don't like anything that's traditionally sauced.

so that rules out pulled pork and ribs.

imo Some things taste better grilled than smoked so Id rather grill ribs, beef short ribs, and chicken

that basically leaves brisket.

Given all the options, steak is at the bottom of my list. I don't dislike it. I have made quite a few of them that have been too chewy, or grisselly and not real enjoyable. Eating out, I have only had a couple I didn't enjoy, but if I have a spread of bbq meats, that would he my last pick. Of all the things I have made at home, the rest has been better.

Babybacks... they’re kinda like crab legs at the Chinese buffet. Sweet but hardly worth the effort.

I don't eat vegetables so the majority of the sides can take a hike.

As far as protein goes, I rarely do chicken except in wing form.

I have tired a bit of pulled pork but it is still a great cut due to price, easy prep, lack of wasted meat and versatility for leftovers. Ribs are better, as far as pork goes, and brisket crushes it. Still, sometimes I want a cook to be super easy but provide many meals for the rest of the week.

Back