I can't decide what pellet grill to buy

I don't know how much grilling area you get with the Pitts and Spitts., It has a small center pot. I would make sure that there is enough grilling area on that one.

Hmm you know i dont really know how big any of the center pots are on any of these grills, you make a good point.

well here in E Tn we get fog often,I have a 18x26 carport that has sides on the west and south,rain cant reach my cooking equipment but fog can so a cover is needed on some things,my PitBoss is powder coated and shows no signs of rust without a cover,my blackstone griddle has to have 1 or else it starts rusting no matter how good of a oil coating you put on it,I use it as a patio year round or I would have put another wall up and a door,it can become really hot in them if you have 4 walls= no air movement

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

What are your thoughts on the Mak holding up in the wet climate of Seattle? Seems like Yoder might be a problem in that regard.

Rust isn’t an issue with Marks. Under the powder coat paint is aluminized steel which will not rust even if the paint chips off. The rest of the smoker is made of heavy 304 gauge stainless. I’ve never had an issue cookingbin the rain but I’d store it under a cover like all pellet grills. Mine resides in the basement.
The
Yoder is built with heavier steel. Not sure how that impacts performance good or bad.
Here are some grilled meats with the added flame zone using the stock stainless grates.
I’d get grill grates for steaks. I don’t think you would be happy with your steak results without them.
Yoder, cookshack, Memphis, and kuma can get much hotter when grilling but only over a relatively small surface. Mak can achieve direct radiant heat over the entire grill surface or you can do 50/50 2 zone cooking with the flame zone.

You just need to ask yourself which is more important... larger direct grilling surface or a smaller but hotter grilling surface.

Mak smoke output is second to none from what I’ve seen and heard. At their price WiFi should be standard BUT the programibility of their controller makes it where it’s not necessary.

Last edited:
Is the Kuma larger or smaller? Also...does size matter....for the fire pot.
Size does matter, the total BTU of the grill depends on the size of the fire. The Kuma has a rectangular shaped firebox, due to the way the pellets arrive but I think the square inch area is about the same as a 10" round pot. I think the Yoder also has this type of firepot.

I've got the PG1000, and I'm convinced there's not a better design out there. The indirect side is truly magic. Very even cooking, top and bottom, excellent smoke flavor. Coming from my two GMG's (Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett) there is just simply no comparison. The charbroiler side provides restaurant-quality heat (heck, they do build them for restaurants!) which means I can turn it up past the point of usability if I wanted. 600° on the dial usually results in right at 1,000° in zone 1. No grill grates, no flame-zone baffles, it's just ready to go, all the time.

Has an ash tray that makes cleanup easy. When you want to vacuum the fire pot, you pull the grate and the little metal tent over the pot and you're ready to clean. Very fast and efficient. I can get it cleaned out in about 2 minutes as opposed to 10 or so (and a big mess dealing with the diffuser plates) with the GMGs. It also does a very good job of keeping its burn pot clean. Maybe I clean it about every 120# of pellets?

People do ding it for the small cook area of the charbroiler. I just use the warming drawer (which is very handy by the way) to hold everything while the next batch goes on. I can fit 6 burgers in the charbroiler, or 2 big steaks, or 3 less than big steaks. Easily 4 NY strips, but you'll be limited to 3 ribeyes unless they are small.

This is max drumsticks in zone 4

MuBHYf2l.jpg

Chicken cooked at 425° indirect is amazing:

WPnTtzWl.jpg

Chuckroasts good too

A2CgOJjl.jpg

Country style ribs

wosJ7JKl.jpg

STL Ribs

IhzAethl.jpg

And of course, steaks

MUI6PBXl.jpg

K3ewPxbl.jpg

6egR5Mel.jpg

The real trick is learning how to use all the zones. That's what really expands the size of the grill. If your charbroiler is loaded, stick stuff in zone 4 to start getting it up to temp, then you can just finish (a la reverse sear) in just a few minutes.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Regarding the Memphis pro 430 vs 304 what do I get for the extra money? I mean I get it's a higher grade stainless steel but does that mean I get x more years of life? Is it really worth the 10% more cost on an already expensive grill?

Regarding the Memphis pro 430 vs 304 what do I get for the extra money? I mean I get it's a higher grade stainless steel but does that mean I get x more years of life? Is it really worth the 10% more cost on an already expensive grill?

That’s a very good point and I can argue either way and I already have in my head lol here are 2 arguments. Go with the one that makes the most sense to you.

1. 304 gauge stainless isn’t worth it because what is the point in buying a smoker body that can last a lifetime when that smoker is ran by electronics that definitely won’t last forever.
2. 304 is worth it because it gives you piece of mind in terms of being virtually rust proof. Besides... you are already spending a lot of money. Might as well spend a lil bit extra and get the very best with no regrets.

I argue with myself a lot if you can’t tell lol

Like I said. Go with the argument that makes the most sense to you. There isn’t a right or wrong answer here as you can see.

If you live near the sea or in an area that is generally rough on metals, then the 304 SS makes a lot of sense. If you are not in a harsh environment than you’ll be fine with either.

If you live near the sea or in an area that is generally rough on metals, then the 304 SS makes a lot of sense. If you are not in a harsh environment than you’ll be fine with either.

Is the rainy weather of Seattle something I should consider as rough? I'm not near the sea btw 😁

I can get a 430 delivered for 3k right now. Still not 100% sure that'll fly with the wife though. 😓

Is the rainy weather of Seattle something I should consider as rough? I'm not near the sea btw [emoji16]

I can get a 430 delivered for 3k right now. Still not 100% sure that'll fly with the wife though. [emoji29]

Rain is not going to hurt it. It’s the salt air that you have to really be concerned with. Where are you seeing it at $3k delivered?

If spending the money, get the 304ss. What’s a few more bucks at that point? Contact dealer in Texas for best deal. Should be able to get about $800 off a 304ss Pro and about a grand off an Elite.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If spending the money, get the 304ss. What’s a few more bucks at that point? Contact dealer in Texas for best deal. Should be able to get about $800 off a 304ss Pro and about a grand off an Elite.

Memphis Elite

Huh. Wonder why they are cheaper?

Huh. Wonder why they are cheaper?

Volume I would guess? They ship all over the country. I called to order a 304 pro and for the heck of it asked them how much for an Elite...they gave me the price and I stuck with the pro....for 10 minutes....I called them back and changed the order to the Elite because of the price:)

Memphis Elite

Volume I would guess? They ship all over the country. I called to order a 304 pro and for the heck of it asked them how much for an Elite...they gave me the price and I stuck with the pro....for 10 minutes....I called them back and changed the order to the Elite because of the price:)

Memphis Elite

Can you share the company name here or via pm?

I might suggest driving down to the Portland area if you decide on the Yoder, Memphis or MAK (if you have a rig you can haul it in) and make a fun trip out of it. Hit Portland and/or wine country and bring home a new PG!

Get the Yoder or Memphis at Sam's NW BBQ (look him up online-prices are posted) and he throws in some goodies too.

Get the MAK straight from MAK in Dallas (20 minutes west of Salem). They won't reduce the price but they do throw in a cover, your choice of size on the upper rack, a rib rack and an extra bag of pellets.

I just picked up a MAK 2 star last month.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267952&highlight=***new+pictures

Back