Sourcing Ribs in the UK

Daederik

Hi all,

So I moved out to the UK from the US several years ago, and I've never tried making ribs on the smoker - and after browsing the site, and seeing some pics, I realize that I've found what I'm missing from my life.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find ribs out here though.

I have received maybe a 1/4 of a rack when I had a pork belly deboned. Little to no meat on them (and they certainly weren't cut in a way to leave any meat on them, they were a byproduct afterall).

I've just called my butchers up and asked if they were able to get me a full rack of spare ribs...and if they even knew what I meant. We ran into a bit of a language barrier (English is a funny thing). I've never seen any racks on their shelves, so they probably don't sell them, or they aren't requested enough.

They offered me pretty much bone in porkchop loins, which isn't what I want. They did say that they can get "Short ribs" in - I'm not sure if that translates to Babyback ribs or not. If so, I can work with that

Ultimate goal though is just to get a full rack of spares to break down into a St. Louis cut, along with some rib tips for a chef's snack :).

Have any of you living out here had any experience making ribs, and if so where did you buy them, and what did you actually buy?

Cheers for the help :)

Oh, on a side note I'm holding the first big BBQ of the season this weekend (The ribs are not on the menu for that, so I'm not necessarily up against the clock). Making pork belly burnt ends, and then grilling up just some burgers and sausages. Might smoke some chicken thighs if I can get the timing right. Along with that some home made KC Style sauce, some Carolina Gold, and some ranch dressing I managed to get shipped from the States :).

Will post pics - if it all turns out well :p

Never having lived there I don't know what they can get you, but They do grow pigs and what you want is just a side of pork, ribs only. You may have to pick up some meat cutting skills to work them into what you want. Even English butchers should be able to figure that out..:p

This page has it called a forerib.
http://www.cooksinfo.com/pork-cuts-illustrated--british
Maybe print out the chart and take it in with you?
Or this one, where the blue line makes the location clear?
ap_pig22b.gif

Thanks guys. Going to head up there on Friday and will see what they can do for me. Weather looks like it's turning poor on Sunday which might put a damper on the dream

All you need are a few pictures to take in and show the butcher of the various cuts of ribs. I'm sure he will cut what you want if he knows exactly what you are looking for.

So I went to my butchers to pick up the goods for my BBQ. We were chatting about what I was looking for (Ultimately the ribs aren't even for my BBQ, they're just for ME because of the bloody "Dem Bones!" thread that was posted here!)

They were like "Let's bring up what we got"

And proceeded to bring up a few slabs of really great looking ribs! They were a bit surprised that I wanted to buy them. Paid £12 for two of them (Whatever, I'm happy!)

I of course got a bit of a "Bonus Slab" when I had them cut the bone off the belly that I was buying.

So...my snack is going to turn into a gorge when I cook them up on Monday. Can't wait!

Tomorrow though...Get in my Belly - PORK BELLY. Pictures will come on a separate thread.

Will probably post the rib pics here.

Thanks again all :)

(Ultimately the ribs aren't even for my BBQ, they're just for ME because of the bloody "Dem Bones!" thread that was posted here!)

I apologize that my "Dem Bonez" thread resulted in a personal quest for you......:biggrin1:

May your bones turn out tasty and fantastic! I would love to see pics.

Oh man John, I'll tell you what - I haven't had a slab of ribs since I moved out here in 2010. It's been about 7 years. I've been going through the motions and "living the dream" and then I saw your pics and was like "OH GOOD GOD I NEED THOSE"

I've had an insatiable craving since...and I will achieve. I have the goods and the means. Got a big 'ole bag of Memphis Dust ready to go and everything.

My belly is ready!

Daederik, glad you had it all sorted.In the UK local butchers are your first point of call for good quality meat. There are also a few Costco scatterd around the place , not sure if there is one in Darlington. Anyways glad you rare now sorted and found a local butcher.

Back