Yoder YS480 - Any thoughts / Experience??

For the heck of it I did a search and found one locally, I was shocked you hardly ever see any kind of decent smoker listed. Guy says it's 2 years old wants $850 and it's very clean looks pretty rough to me. :shocked:
I'm sure it's just surface rust and looks like paint pealing but dang when I purchase something I take care of it.

01414_WSqUjIoo6S_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_coekef244uj_1200x900.jpg

Jezus, that looks terrible...makes me question the durability.

I can fit 4 probes through one port. I have not tried more than that, but maybe could handle more. I think 4 is probably about max though!

Here are some ribs that I finished 2nd in backyard KCBS event 2 weeks ago, we finished 2nd in chicken and 1st overall. I cooked these on my ys640.. This thing can flat turn out some good food.
3C6AE0E8-EF85-45AA-8B3E-769DA9253281.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you on the probe port info...I'll only need one then

WOW those look great!!!!!!!!!!! Dang!!!

Congrats....

I'm doing some chicken breast right now.... Started out on 165 for about 30-40 mins. to get some smoke on them...Upped to 225 a bit ago.. We'll see if they turn out good.

About to place an order with ATBBQ and get some different pellets (Mesquite, Oak, and Hickory) and some rubs....Ordering my cover , probe port, and a smoke tube to try as well.

I've had my 640 for almost 4 years and it doesn't look anything like that. That smoker was left out in the weather without a cover. The owner clearly didn't care about it.

This, plus I would guess that the cooker is still structurally sound and it would look like new after a quick sand and repaint.

Yoders are made of such thick steel that it would take a minor miracle to rust through.

For the heck of it I did a search and found one locally, I was shocked you hardly ever see any kind of decent smoker listed. Guy says it's 2 years old wants $850 and it's very clean looks pretty rough to me. :shocked:
I'm sure it's just surface rust and looks like paint pealing but dang when I purchase something I take care of it.

01414_WSqUjIoo6S_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_coekef244uj_1200x900.jpg

It also looks like it's missing the deflector plate. You shouldn't see fire.

Ribs looked tasty.....
When I had my Treager I tried most every pellet out there. I liked a mix for pork. Hickory, Apple, and Cherry or maple if out of cherry. Equal parts of each. Briskets, I used Oak and Apple mix. Chix, cherry with a tad hickory. And Fish was a straight maple. In my mixes I would mix the pellets up pretty well before pouring in the hopper. And then mix them alittle more before firing the grill.....

All those ashes and debris in the bottom make it appear as if someone used this cooker as a plain old charcoal grill.

Well I did some Chicken... Two different rubs. Still have a good bit to learn about this thing. Seems it's hotter toward the stack and got less smoke there too. The ones in the middle had better smoke and finished later too.

I started out at 170 for 30-40 mins to get some smoke on them. Then went up to 225 ish. It over shot a few times when I opened it to sprits.

Decent meal though... I ate 3 breast and almost all the stove top stuffing...LOL

8DC5A027-41FD-4C71-ADB7-DF67A7B0F0DE_zpsgovyvkgi.jpg

D79BF15D-FFD1-4A12-8D76-52DDA4469EEB_zpsiandawdo.jpg

73574479-94B4-4B84-9846-455DCE354072_zpsmieazfpj.jpg

9480F32A-BCBA-459E-A8FC-6D2FA956777A_zpspzqqedlb.jpg

0D585A58-FA86-4F5C-91D5-5414BF208049_zpsmfic1atb.jpg

Thank you on the probe port info...I'll only need one then

WOW those look great!!!!!!!!!!! Dang!!!

Congrats....

I'm doing some chicken breast right now.... Started out on 165 for about 30-40 mins. to get some smoke on them...Upped to 225 a bit ago.. We'll see if they turn out good.

About to place an order with ATBBQ and get some different pellets (Mesquite, Oak, and Hickory) and some rubs....Ordering my cover , probe port, and a smoke tube to try as well.

If you haven't ordered the probe port yet, I'm pretty sure these are the exact same thing: [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Waterproof-Connector-Glands-11-15mm/dp/B00843ULCM/ref=pd_sim_469_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ka2qLzBRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=6Y9KMEX98XZPYDSYS49J"]Amazon.com: Stainless Steel PG16 Waterproof Connector Glands for 11-15mm Cables: Home Improvement[/ame]

I just bought a used 640 as well, and I need to do the same upgrade.

Thank you!! I have not ordered yet.

If you don't mind posting, what kind of a deal did you get on yours?

On the 640? I bought a 2013 model on a comp cart for $1300. It needs some touchups on the paint because of some rust.

Swole, on our YS640 we have to move the "adjustable damper," located underneath the deflector plate, a little past half-way towards the fire pot (scooting it to the left half of the cooker) in order to get the two sides of the cooking chamber balanced for temperature.

On the YS480 you could probably accomplish the same thing with a couple of fire bricks.

Swole, on our YS640 we have to move the "adjustable damper," located underneath the deflector plate, a little past half-way towards the fire pot (scooting it to the left half of the cooker) in order to get the two sides of the cooking chamber balanced for temperature.

On the YS480 you could probably accomplish the same thing with a couple of fire bricks.

I will try to find some and test that... Thx

Back