THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I understand some websites have "smokin hot" women and you don't have to bend over backwards to feed the semi-vegetarian expensive seafood.....
Ed
Ed, All jokes and good-natured-ribbing aside, they are good people. They'd bend over backwards to help me, and I them.
All I'm trying to do here is make the best possible dish I can by asking for input/advise on a dish I've never made. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thank you for the "useful" input brethern!

Ed, All jokes and good-natured-ribbing aside, they are good people. They'd bend over backwards to help me, and I them.
All I'm trying to do here is make the best possible dish I can by asking for input/advise on a dish I've never made. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thank you for the "useful" input brethern!

I'm sure there's no offense intended by the posts.
I really can't help because the only vegan thing I've ever made was a garden salad or veggie tray.

I thought this was a BBQ website. All I've read about in this thread is "smokin hot women bent over" Did I miss the topic of the OP?

I'm sure there's no offense intended by the posts.
I really can't help because the only vegan thing I've ever made was a garden salad or veggie tray.
Oh, I'm not offended John. My skin is a lot thicker than that. Matter-a-fact I expected a little ribbing for the post. However, I was serious about my original post. This forum has been a great source of information. I've learned a lot and the brethern have been very helpful.

Vegans are tough...my own sweet brother married one. I researched a meal threw it on some smoke...looked tasty to me...served her up and she asked..." Do ya cook meat in there" ....I was pulling my teeth out of a rib when she inquired. Something to think about when serving the unworldly.

-D

I make a seafood stew from organic vegetable stock, a frozen seafood mix containing squid, clams, shrimp, calamari, etc. (I dump all imitation crab if it's in there) and I'll add shrimp, canned crabmeat and canned clams. Before I went keto, I used to start by putting diced potatoes in it. Be sure to boil your potatoes in the veggie stock until they are soft, then add your other ingredients - onions, celery, diced tomatoes and a spicy Bloody Mary mix - except for the seafood. Add the seafood for the last 5 or so minutes of the cook as they will get done really quickly.

One of my daughters is vegetarian. I use the 'no-chicken chicken stock' a lot when I'm cooking things that she and the rest of the family will share. I like it better than the vegetable stock for things that would normally have a meat stock in them but the taste is definitely not as rich as even store bought meat stock and a long way from homemade stock. You'll end up with a much better product if you use seafood stock.

If they're serious about their vegetarianism (pescatarians are usually a little easier to cook for) be careful with all of your ingredient choices. Make sure they're ok with dairy and eggs. Even then, some cheeses are set with animal rennet and vegetarians won't eat them. Another common gotcha is gelatin which gets added to a lot of things that you wouldn't think about until your daughter starts refusing to eat the food you've bought: marshmallows, candy, yogurt...

If a vegan asks you to cook for them just walk away...I once got lectured on how horrible it was to enslave bees and steal their honey...

No butter and no bacon? And these folks don't show up on "no fly lists" why again? I don't trust them- it ain't natural.

All jokes aside - I wish you the best of luck. There have been some good suggestions- I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to do the cooking for your bunch.

Back