THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PappaOscar

Full Fledged Farker
Need some advise on a "meatless", that's right, meatless jambalaya recipe. Its for a vegan couple coming over for superbowl. Seafood is allowed, just no meat products, that includes chicken broth.:crazy:
What I have so far is a recipe from Shagdog making a chicken variety. Planning on using shrimp, bay scallops, and imitation crab. Also, found a vegetarian chicken stock.
Would the fake chick stock interfere with the seafood flavoring. Or should I use veggie stock?
Should I cook the shrimp in butta first, remove them and add later...or cook all the veggies first then dump all the seafood, maters, and broth and let it simmer? I don't want the seafood to get rubbery.

Who knows, with the smell of brisket and pulled pork wafting in the air, I may convert them.

Last edited:
If jambalaya without andouille, isn't a crime, it should be. If you insist on doing so, I would agree with the others on the shrimp stock. Try to find head on shrimp, and make a stock with the shells and heads. If you have an Asian market, you can also get some dried shrimp that will really amp up the shrimp flavor. You might also consider switching to a paella recipe. The saffron would add more flavor, and the crust on the rice would add some texture.

IMnotalwaysHO you are overthinking things about the flavor of fake chicken messing with the taste. I also don't think that it would taste bad if you use veggie stock. If you want a richer meat flavor, you could throw in some oysters maybe? Maybe chop up a can of smoked oysters to give it a smoke flavor too?

As long as seafood is allowed you will be fine. I would try for as many different textures as possible, and maybe a nice visual too. In addition to the shrimp and crab (I would opt for a back and a couple of claws), a few mussels,and how about a calamari steak cut into strips? I take the same approach with my gumbo... anything goes.

DSC04502x.jpg

That's what I was going to say. Unless they just don't consider sea creatures to be animals.

Yeah! Aren't shrimp, fish, and oysters people too?

I think your friends are vegetarians. I'm pretty sure they eat seafood without a problem.

Great... now I'm hungry for those delicious little underwater bugs.

Thanks for the input guys. Going to make a shrimp stock, and turn it into a gumbo like Locosmoke said.
And I stand corrected, they are vegetarian, not vegan. (Still can't understand not wanting to eat meat though...)
Why did I invite may you ask.... the wife is smokin' hot and she makes a killer white chocolate cheese cake. Bam!

Back