Mighty Rad Gumbo

HogGrog

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Greg
Out with the old, in with the new.

While loading the chest freezer with eight racks of recently purchased Prairie Fresh spare ribs I found leftover turkey and a package of Wayne Jacobs Smokehouse andouille! Gumbo time!

I consider myself a newb at making gumbo having only made it about half dozen times, you experts out there may take exception cuz I cook the rice into the dish (like jambalaya) but use a roux ( like gumbo). Whatever you call it I like it!

I added roux to sautéed trinity veggies and the usual gumbo ingredients; garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, chili pepper, celery seed, paprika, coriander. Added chicken stock and hot sauce. Andouille was smoked again on the PK360, chopped and added to pot with the dark turkey meat and the rice. Covered and cooked until rice was done. I served it with grilled shrimp seasoned with Sucklebusters Gator Cajun rub.

I really enjoy the flavors and gotta make it more frequently!

Link to Little Feat tune - Rad Gumbo
https://youtu.be/dPCrSIdJy-4

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3220.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 141
Looks good from here. So, the rice gets kind of a creamy texture? I lean toward a darker roux almost as dark as the upper right.

rQ8FvWN.jpg

Looks good from here. So, the rice gets kind of a creamy texture? I lean toward a darker roux almost as dark as the upper right.

rQ8FvWN.jpg

Thanks!

Yes, the rice takes on a creamy texture and some additional flavor while cooking. I’d say my roux looked like the lower left and did not develop the deep rich flavor of a darker roux. Next time I’ll stir a bit longer!

I was gonna post the same thing about the roux. I use 4 oz flour, 4 oz veg oil, in a cast iron dutch oven. Cook for 1.5 hours at 350 in the over and you don't even need to stir it. That's the Alton Brown method. Nice brick roux fool proof.

Roux Video

Thanks!

Yes, the rice takes on a creamy texture and some additional flavor while cooking. I’d say my roux looked like the lower left and did not develop the deep rich flavor of a darker roux. Next time I’ll stir a bit longer!

It's been awhile since I did another in my YouTube cooking series (CWI: Cooking While Intoxicated)....but here, I do my chicken and sausage gumbo, and I show my roux process and I take this one to a very dark roux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hufnMolvF9s

If you don't want to watch the whole thing...skip to about 6:40 where I talk about and start my roux.

Hope that helps!

cayenne

Back