THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPegg

Found some matches.
So yesterday, rather than fight the 100 degree temps here in sunny Columbus, I stayed home and did some modding to my 22" WSM. I had ordered the WSM complete Gasket Kit from http://bbqgaskets.com/catalog_4.html

I ordered on Friday evening, and it was at my door on Monday when I got home from work. The kit came with 1/2" and 1" Nomex for the body and door, respectively. Also included a small bottle of adhesive, and installation "guidelines" and they were barely that. Ill share what I did differently, and how it looked.

First thing I did was throw both rolls of the Nomex into the dryer for a half hour. I cant recall where, but I read somewhere that it would help take the shrink out of it. While it was preshrinking, I used some Formula 409 (food safe), a steel brush, and a bunch of paper towels to clean up around the door, inside the charcoal bowl, and around the lip at the top of the body section. Quite a bit of the grease and other whatnot came off easily with the paper towel, and only required minimal brushing. The "guidelines" that come with it suggest acetone for this. DO NOT USE ACETONE.

I started with lip on the top of the body. Make sure that you cut the seal on the adhesive as close to the top as you can. It isn't very a very thick liquid, and spreads easily. "Guidelines" suggest using a small comb to help spread the adhesive out, and giving it 15 minutes to get tacky before applying the Nomex. DO NOT DO THIS. The adhesive was ready to go as soon as soon as I put the bead down. I just moved the bottle back and forth in a M type pattern and that was plenty. I did roughly 1/5-1/4 of the lip at a time, making sure that I pressed the Nomex up against the outside edge of the lip, and making sure that it was laid down flat with no ridges. Didnt need to use the comb or wait for the adhesive to get tacky.

IMG_4095.jpg

I did the gasket for the door next. How I did it was wildly different than what was recommended in the guidelines, and how it was done in the images on the company website. They showed the 1" Nomex applied directly to the body of the smoker. While Im sure it was effective, to be honest, it looked TERRIBLE. Gasket was showing outside the width of both doors, and over the top. I like the clean look of my WSM, and decided that I would be better served applying the gasket directly to the door. I stuck it to the outer and upper edges, and it sealed up well. One issue I found, and I may have been completely oblivious to it before, is that there are two very small openings at the bottom of the door where the "hinge" is. They didnt leak at all, but they were open, and unaffected by the gasket. I had to use a shot of the door "after" because my first pic didnt come out as well as I had hoped. Sorry. Gives you a good idea of the seal it offers though.

photo2.jpg

The last part I did was the inside edge of the charcoal bowl. I had never really had any leakage problems from this area, but, they sent me enough gasket and adhesive, and, well, I had the whole day to myself. I figured why not? It was the most difficult of the three gaskets to apply, as there are no landmarks to make sure that your gasket is even. I just kind of eyeballed it, but I think that it came out pretty well. Rather than apply the adhesive to the inside surface of the bowl, I applied it directly to the Nomex its' self. This seemed to greatly reduce the amount of adhesive that was just running down the inside.

IMG_4099.jpg

The bottom gasket made the body a pain in the ass to put on. It may have been a smarter idea to put the gasket for this part onto the bottom of the body, versus the charcoal bowl. To be honest, if you aren't having any issues with leakage from the bottom, I would save your time and not use it at all. Was fun to experiment with though.

After I let all of the gaskets sit and cure for an hour or so, I fired up my chimney and started the WSM up. As usual, it heated up fairly quickly, and held 225-275 with zero adjustments to the dampers for 10 hours before it started to fall off. Ran the bottom at 0%/0%/50%, and the top damper was wide open the whole time. There was almost zero visible smoke leakage either. There was a hint a few times of smoke leaking from the door lock, but I would call it virtually inconsequential.

IMG_4106.jpg

Overall, Im happy with the Mod, and think that it will help with my efforts in the long run. I do think that it may be a bit overpriced, but at the same time, I have no idea how much Nomex costs. The "guidelines" that came with the kit were awful, and almost comnpletely useless. Other than that, I would say that I am very happy with it, how easy it was to install, and how it turned out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone if asked. I would also like to apologize for the different sized pics as well. No idea how that happened, but They give a good idea of what I was working with.

Thanks man. As for the acetone, honestly, for me, I just think there are quite a few better choices for the task at hand. The fact it is used in nail polish remover, and is highly flammable, is reason enough for me to pass. NOt something I want around my food, or on my smoker.

great tutorial on this. i got the same kit in mail last week and plan on doing one of my wms this weekend. your thread will be a big help....thanks

I was just looking on the Weber website and couldn't find a gasket kit, can someone post a link to the kit for the 18 1/2" WSM?

Acetone is not a super good solvent, people think it smells strong and thus might do wonderful things. BUT one thing it IS good at is not leaving any residue. In HS Chem the teacher had me rinse some test tubes out with a splash of acetone for that reason. Plain old 90% alcohol is a better cleaner than acetone IMHO, and also leaves no residue. But then Dawn dish detergent, clean water, and an old toothbrush will also do a fine job for many things.

Just curious, have you guys been having issues with temp control or anything else during your cooks that you attibute to air leaks? The reason I ask is that even though I understand the desire to improve your cooker, is there a benefit? I've been using 3 18.5" WSM's for years now. When I first got them I bent the doors to fit a little better and tweaked the bodies a little because they were slightly out of round but that was it. I've never had any issues because the cookers aren't 100% airtight.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure many brethren will benefit from your experience.

There must be something about the 22.5" WSM. My 18.5" isn't airtight (smoke from the door and around the lid while coming up to temp), but I have no trouble maintaining temps for 14+ hours on a single load of charcoal, and closing the vents extinguishes the fire fairly quickly. My BIL just got a 22.5" and if he has problems with leaks, I'll be sure to recommend this fix to him.

BTW, you won't notice any smoke escaping from around the edges of the charcoal bowl because air is being drawn in through any leaks that are there.

Just curious, have you guys been having issues with temp control or anything else during your cooks that you attibute to air leaks? The reason I ask is that even though I understand the desire to improve your cooker, is there a benefit? I've been using 3 18.5" WSM's for years now. When I first got them I bent the doors to fit a little better and tweaked the bodies a little because they were slightly out of round but that was it. I've never had any issues because the cookers aren't 100% airtight.
Kirk, you must have posted while I was typing. I have had no problems with my WSM. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems more people are complaining about air leaks since the 22.5" came out.

I was just looking on the Weber website and couldn't find a gasket kit, can someone post a link to the kit for the 18 1/2" WSM?

bo,
Here's where I got mine. I bought the kit for my 18.5 WSM. There's someone selling the kit on ebay. I don't know but it may be the same company.

I haven't installed mine and I appreciate the post.

http://bbqgaskets.com/catalog_4.html

I plan to use Simple Green Heavy BBQ and Grill Cleaner. I already use it to clean the lid rim when the lid starts to stick.

Last edited:
To be honest I have not seen enough other people cook on the WSM to know if mine leaks. Mine does have a little smoke that comes from around the rim of the lid. Not sure if that is normal.

To be honest I have not seen enough other people cook on the WSM to know if mine leaks. Mine does have a little smoke that comes from around the rim of the lid. Not sure if that is normal.
I would say that it is normal. When I first get my fire going there's a good bit of smoke, so it's pretty obvious that the seal isn't 100%. Once it's calmed down to a nice wisp of blue out the vent, you don't see it coming from the rim area any more. As they get used and there's a bit of gunk built up on everything they tend to seal a little better too.

To be honest, I havent had mine long enough (10 cooks or so) to really say whether it is/was an issue. I would think that, for me, it will help more with the amount of charcoal I use than wildly varying temperature issues. More consistency with the consumption rate, if you will. I will also offer this disclaimer that it IS a WAG, but makes 100% sense in my head.

i have 6 that i use regularly, 3 bigs and 3 smalls... i do run cyberq's but even at that i have no issues with leakage... can run 24+ hours on a FULL ring of coals in my big without touching....

i have 6 that i use regularly, 3 bigs and 3 smalls... i do run cyberq's but even at that i have no issues with leakage... can run 24+ hours on a FULL ring of coals in my big without touching....

How so? Have you made any mods, other than the CyberQ's? Thats a LOOOONG time. Pretty farkan sweet, man.

Jason

no mods other than cajun bandit doors... set the cyber q 240-250 and let her ride... i did a brisket cook just to see how long it would cook, packed it full of coal, and let it go, i pulled the brisket off when done, and let it continue to go, i got tired of watching at 24 hours and decided to shut the fan off... have done several 18 hour cooks on my smalls

I bought a gasket kit a while ago. I found that after a while, when the WSM gets gunked up, I didn't need it. The door on my 22 1/2" WSM does leak somewhat, but not enough to effect the way it cooks.

Back