Pellet Pooper Gasket

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
My new GMG Ledge Prime door leaked heat and smoke so bad you would think that it was a screen door! I’ve had only a few cooks so far and with minor door hinge adjustments I got it a bit better. So this morning I removed it to clean the door gasket area surface with a few rounds of Dawn Power Wash. Then a bit of elbow grease and a scotch brite pad. Next a wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Finally the gasket installation.
Hopefully it will be a vast improvement.

Attachments

• Pooper Gasket.jpg
    Pooper Gasket.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Following. My Davy Crockett leaks pretty good around the door. I might have to follow your lead.

For me, it's about heat containment and airflow.
I mostly cook around 275-300. Gaps around the door allows for the heat to escape the cook chamber. Heat and smoke pouring out of the door is a loss of heat and a waste of fuel. Along with poor convection and air circulation within the cook chamber.

I sealed the gaps around my GMG Jim Bowie and it was a huge improvement. I don’t like gaskets on vertical applications so I cleaned with rubbing alcohol, put down a 1/4 bead of rtv on the lip of the smoker, spray the door with Pam, close greased door on rtv. If you can get a ratchet strap around it, snug-not crazy tight, it will hold it in place.

Back