Worst $$$ Spent on BBQ Products

When I first started getting serious about que, I picked up a thermo from Oregon Scientific. Never worked right out of the box. Got smart & bought a Maverick.

Rib racks. Don't like 'em. I have 2. Will I get rid of them? No - I may need them at some unspecified point in the future, even though I don't like them. So there they sit. :tsk:

Also got silicone gloves. They tore between the thumb and forefinger pretty immediately, which I discovered with the glove tear finding tool, aka a super farking hot grate. :doh:

My list...
cheap walmart digital therm with probes that was never accurate, cheap analog therm that was painful to watch it move 5 degrees per second, a digital therm that broke on the first use. Finally got smart and paid for a ET732, thermopop and thermapen. Almost forgot the rubs and sauces that were just bad. Famous Dave's rib rub was almost non-existent as far as taste goes. That $500 gas grill I bought that I used 5 times and sold for $50. 500' roll of regular aluminum foil that took 5-6 sheets to keep rib bones from tearing thru. electric smoker I bought to convert to charcoal and burned the gaskets and doors so bad on the first cook that it was almost useless. There are probably more but it's starting to get depressing so I will stop.:tsk:

Bear paws would be on my list as well. Work fine, just find gloves easier for moving the meat off the grill and pulling. As a result, they sit taking up space.

Unlike some, I actually found I prefer my cheap walmart remote thermometer to the maverick I have. (for smoking) The probe has held up better and it's a bit longer. Which puts the maverick on the didn't need list for me. Generally doesn't get used.

I also purchased a larger capacity injector early on. Find the needle size too large to be easy to use and ended up going with a smaller one.

Finally, I have a variety of pans with holes in them for cooking smaller items like vegetables on the grill. The problem with several is that they have wooden handles which prevents me from closing the lid on the grill.

I am ashamed to admit that as a young man I bought various "racks" for my Weber kettles. I had wing racks, drummy racks, Jalapeno racks, beer can chicken racks. Then I built my own "hovergrill" grate with an 18 inch grate and carriage bolts for two cooking levels. That is all I use now and I use it all the time. It cost me little or nothing and I can do pretty massive cooks of all the things I used to use "racks" for. I grew out of the beer can chicken phase too. I build the extra "hovergrill" grates for all my kettles and kettles I find for buddies and fishing/hunting camps. It is amazing how much food one can get on a kettle when it is planned out. I have cooked for 10 hungry hunters numerous times on one 22 inch kettle. I now am pretty skeptical about most grilling "must have" gadgets.

Awe man I just bought a set of bear paws. They got great reviews on Amazon". Live and learn I guess.

Don't pull your pork. Rake your Meat. Meat Rakes, love mine. Zips through a butt or chicken in no time flat.

Weber Kettle. I don't understand the hype. Everyone says it is the best grill at the best price. I disagree. There are better grills and smokers out there for better prices. I bought mine, used it once, and threw it away.

Kidding. I have eight Webers of one form or another. I love them. A lot. That reminds me, I need to check CL to see if any other Webers have come up for sale.

Worse purchase: Probably similar to the others. Cheap tongs, thermometers, and other cheap equipment.

I bought a Char Griller Duo. It wasn't a bad purchase, but once I got a Weber I hardly ever used it again.

Weber Kettle. I don't understand the hype. Everyone says it is the best grill at the best price. I disagree. There are better grills and smokers out there for better prices. I bought mine, used it once, and threw it away.

Kidding. I have eight Webers of one form or another. I love them. A lot. That reminds me, I need to check CL to see if any other Webers have come up for sale.

Worse purchase: Probably similar to the others. Cheap tongs, thermometers, and other cheap equipment.

I bought a Char Griller Duo. It wasn't a bad purchase, but once I got a Weber I hardly ever used it again.

nice try

never would have believed that one

hmmm,... lots of bad decisions in my bbq past !!

How about those abt racks that you stand them up in,... terrible.. and I have bought more than one... lol. Just cut your peppers in half and lay em' down.

Never bought the bear paws. and now I'm glad,. my Q cabinet is too full of other tools that don't get used.

And,.. of course,.. (hind site is 20/20) all of the big box store offset smokers that I was so proud to purchase at one time or another. Yup,. I'm talkin to you Charbroil, Char-grill, and Brinkmann!! ugh... all that cash for pits I just gave away in the end. ( The Old Country is my only exception )

I agree with " all thermometers before my thermapen "

and,... all the silly ass nick-nack crap I seem to accumulate through the holiday season from friends and family... I love them, but I don't need a coffee cup that says "I live to bbq" on it. Or another damn apron...LOL... my blue jeans do that job nicely. Bless their hearts.

It's baskets and racks for me with the exception of my rotisserie basket, it works. Now I if used the rotisserie more than twice a year, so yeah, maybe my rotisserie was bad money spent. Then there's the veggie basket, fish basket, adjustable basket, I see these things and think what a good idea. Then I use them and think, what a pain in the a$$ to clean. Anybody want to buy a basket collection? :wacko:

I have to agree with the jalapeno racks and beer can chicken racks. I like doing the birds spatchcock way better than beer can. and the vertical ABT's fall over and make a mess. I also have untold cheap grill accessories that were gifts, forks, tongs, baskets, all junk...

Bear paws would be on my list as well. Work fine, just find gloves easier for moving the meat off the grill and pulling. As a result, they sit taking up space.

Unlike some, I actually found I prefer my cheap walmart remote thermometer to the maverick I have. (for smoking) The probe has held up better and it's a bit longer. Which puts the maverick on the didn't need list for me. Generally doesn't get used.

I also purchased a larger capacity injector early on. Find the needle size too large to be easy to use and ended up going with a smaller one.

Finally, I have a variety of pans with holes in them for cooking smaller items like vegetables on the grill. The problem with several is that they have wooden handles which prevents me from closing the lid on the grill.

Hmm.. you all are triggering other memories. Also had a rack for cooking ABTs. Only tried it once, nearly all fell out once they started to soften.

Highest price bad idea was a gasser from Costco years ago. Was supposed to have been made by a high end company (can't remember who) but the burners rusted out in a year and (on all of them from what I read) so getting replacements was nearly impossible.

Hmm.. you all are triggering other memories. Also had a rack for cooking ABTs. Only tried it once, nearly all fell out once they started to soften.

Highest price bad idea was a gasser from Costco years ago. Was supposed to have been made by a high end company (can't remember who) but the burners rusted out in a year and (on all of them from what I read) so getting replacements was nearly impossible.
Yeah! That just reminded me ...... all the dollar$ spent buying cheap grills, trying to save money before I finally broke down and bought Weber.

I think for me it's various racks as well. Beer can chicken rack, various roast racks and rib racks.

However I have found a good use for the ribs racks. When doing large batches of bacon, if I quarter up the belly I can get about 60 pounds worth on my WSM between the two racks. I guess all hope is not lost...

hmmm,... lots of bad decisions in my bbq past !!

How about those abt racks that you stand them up in,... terrible.. and I have bought more than one... lol. Just cut your peppers in half and lay em' down.

Never bought the bear paws. and now I'm glad,. my Q cabinet is too full of other tools that don't get used.

And,.. of course,.. (hind site is 20/20) all of the big box store offset smokers that I was so proud to purchase at one time or another. Yup,. I'm talkin to you Charbroil, Char-grill, and Brinkmann!! ugh... all that cash for pits I just gave away in the end. ( The Old Country is my only exception )

I agree with " all thermometers before my thermapen "

and,... all the silly ass nick-nack crap I seem to accumulate through the holiday season from friends and family... I love them, but I don't need a coffee cup that says "I live to bbq" on it. Or another damn apron...LOL... my blue jeans do that job nicely. Bless their hearts.

Right there with ya! I spent more on those cheap, dime store offsets than I paid for my Horizon, large Egg and Weber kettle combined.:tsk: Learned my lesson the stupid way.:crazy:

Back