THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I use L&P daily and have for at least the last 30 years. I am addicted to V8. In a 16oz glass I put the juice of 1-2 fresh lemons, a couple of shakes of L&P, and fill with V8. Mix it and there is breakfast. OK, I have a banana as well. I have tried French's but just didn't like the taste.

However, I've found that the cheap stuff at RD is REALLY cheap tasting too.

We bought a few gallons of this chit called "Bon Cheri" BBQ Sauce for a big vending cook we were going to do and we ended up tossing it after the first bottle was gone. With all the crap we had to buy to doctor it and make it taste decent totally countered the savings.

I'm leary of buying the real cheap stuff in bulk.

I am not doubting that. I know you pay a premium for brands, but at that price spread something ain't right.

Okay, how do I approach this?
I am familiar with over a half dozen brands.
I was raised on one exclusively, we used as a condiment, straight.
So, there are a variety of taste profiles I favor for different applications, but as an adult I first tasted Lee & Perrins and that is the best for straight condiment usage.
For me!
Japanese brands make a thicker sweeter version, India has a thin and good milder version, but my go to is far and away L&P
I can't eat fried eggs without wanting it.
Btw it is so much more than a tamarind sauce.

I am going to try this recipe--or a variation of it--for homemade Worcestershire sauce:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Worcestershire-Sauce

You can get a block of tamarind paste at your local Asian ethnic market and make concentrated tamarind juice from it.

If I can get this to taste as good or better than Lea & Perrins then I'll just make a gallon of this stuff at a time -- the $2.99 block of tamarind would be good for that much I'd think.

A far as I'm concerned, there is only one Worcestershire sauce and that's the one made in Worcester - Lea & Perrin's. (Orange label)

Certainly no corn syrup in it - I remember they launched what they called a "table sauce" a few years ago, which was thicker and may have had something like that in it, but I'd be surprised - HFCS isn't so prevalent over here.

I realise it's probably more expensive over there, especially the imported stuff, but personally, food is one area of my life where I think it's important not to compromise - I'll always buy the best that I can possibly afford.

I wouldn't buy a Bourbon that wasn't made in the US and I wouldn't buy a Worcestershire sauce that wasn't made in Worcestershire.

A far as I'm concerned, there is only one Worcestershire sauce and that's the one made in Worcester - Lea & Perrin's. (Orange label)

Certainly no corn syrup in it - I remember they launched what they called a "table sauce" a few years ago, which was thicker and may have had something like that in it, but I'd be surprised - HFCS isn't so prevalent over here.

I realise it's probably more expensive over there, especially the imported stuff, but personally, food is one area of my life where I think it's important not to compromise - I'll always buy the best that I can possibly afford.

I wouldn't buy a Bourbon that wasn't made in the US and I wouldn't buy a Worcestershire sauce that wasn't made in Worcestershire.

I agree with the content of the post, except when I read the highlighted part I immediately thought about the phenomenal Scotch that I have had in Japan, made in Japan, and here in Oz, made in Oz.
Scotch that despite coming from extremely young distilleries ...is kicking seriously some Scots arses!

Yep. And the only good briskets are made in Texas, and the only good BBQ pork comes from the Carolina's.

This is why I go to France for my wine and cheese.

Actually, I just wait for Gore to go and hope he sends me some cheese that I can smell before the postman gets to the door.

I agree with the content of the post, except when I read the highlighted part I immediately thought about the phenomenal Scotch that I have had in Japan, made in Japan, and here in Oz, made in Oz.
Scotch that despite coming from extremely young distilleries ...is kicking seriously some Scots arses!

Ahaa - Now you're talking my language Buc.

I agree, incredible Whiskies coming out of Japan, especially some of the Suntory distilleries. However, and I'm splitting hairs here, despite being produced most definitely in the style of Scotch Whisky, they aren't Scotch Whiskies, they're Japanese Whiskies. My point being, again I'd expect my Japanese Whisky to come from Japan, as I would my Scotch from Scotland, Bourbon from the US, Worcestershire sauce from Worcester etc.

I haven't tried any Ozzie Whiskies, but they sound intriguing - I'll have to hunt some out.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Snip>
The Timboon Railway Shed Distillery’s product has been labelled one of the best in Australia by renowned expert Jim Murray in his Whisky Bible 2014, who said it “stole the show”.
Murray scored the Railway Shed’s single malt whisky at 96.5 out of 100 — just one point behind the world’s best. “If you look at the number of whiskies being reviewed ... to be placed within the top 100 rating, it’s great, we’re rapt about that,” distillery owner Tim Marwood said. <

>"We are small-scale but the best quality. Barley is sourced locally from the southern Wheatbelt, making Limeburners a truly West Australian whisky. "Here in Australia, we make great wine and beer. Why not whisky," he says. It may take a few more years but the name of the Great Southern Distilling Company is sure to be one that is known far and wide. Possibly in the same breath as my own single malt heroes, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Ardbeg."

Sullivan Cove
Nant
Hellyers

Lark
Overeem
Just to help a bit.
None mix well with L&P tho, Jim Beam does!:p

In the mass market, I believe L&P was the first in and set the standard for taste. We all grew up with that taste and that made it very difficult for others to beat them...... except on price. First in wins. Rule one of marketing!

L&P. I taste the difference. Just read the ingredients on the other brands.:shocked:

Looking at the back of the Heinz bottle it makes sense why it doesn't taste that great.

There is no tamarind in it. This would explain why the L&P is cloudier, and also explain why it is more tasty. The Heinz uses distilled white vinegar & corn syrup in place of the tamarind. I don't know if you've ever tasted tamarind paste or not, but it is FRUITY, sweet and sour--it's affordable to purchase at the Asian market for about $3 per block. What is lacking in this fake sauce is the fruitiness and nuances of the tamarind--which is huge. Try making some tamarind juice from 1 block of paste, and one simmering gallon of water, then strain & chill; I like it much better than lemonaide--it's such a treat: fruity, sweet & sour!

There is also some bitterness in the Heinz that hits hard as the first note before being able to taste all the rest of the sauce. Also I doubt this sauce is fermented as well--I believe the Worcestershire sauce (the real stuff) still is in Worcestershire.

I am going to make some homemade Worcestershire sauce with a block of tamarind paste some time.

Back