Need some brisket help,not happy with how it turns out

Lots of good advice here that will shorten the learning curve. I have to keep reminding myself that there are so many variables to cooking anything, but especially a large tough piece of meat. While I may get lucky early in the process, I don't expect to get good until I've cooked a bunch of times. Luckily, I have a tolerant wife who loves BBQ.

One of the best briskets that I cooked, I injected with beef broth and let it rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for several hours.

I also say that you need to let it rest on the counter for at least 15 minutes to cool off before wrapping and putting it in a cooler or it will continue to cook in the foil.

I like to have a water pan in my smoker to keep the meat moist. I also wrap the brisket at the 4-5 hour mark. Whenever the bark has fully formed. I will wrap with tin foil. On the bottom I put the injection marinade on the bottom and put the meat on top. Wrap really tight so there is no steaming going on. These two things have really worked well for me. I hope it helps.
Todd "The DIRT Man"

Don’t put in cooler until the temp starts coming down or not at all, it will continue to cook! This will most definitely help. If you need to put in cooler to hold because it is done early pull slightly before probe tender and put in cooler to finish cooking.

I don't have easy access to choice. I can get prime at Costco, and Walmart has select.

I really don't want to separate the point and flat, but I can try wrapping and doing away with the spritz.

I think I used to find Choice Briskets at Smart and Final, when I lived in CA.
see if there is one in your area.

Back