THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I didn't know there were other brands.Farking wannabe's.:mad:
Next thing you know some copycats are going to try and muscle in on Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayonnaise.

Next time you go to the store, get a small jar of "Dukes" Mayonnaise and give it an honest try out. You may never go back to Hellman's. Quit using Heinz when John (Heinz) Kerry ran for President. But then I am just weird that way.:wacko:
I use L&P because it has more "bite" to it than the others.

Blessings,
Omar

Next time you go to the store, get a small jar of "Dukes" Mayonnaise and give it an honest try out. You may never go back to Hellman's. Quit using Heinz when John (Heinz) Kerry ran for President. But then I am just weird that way.:wacko:
I use L&P because it has more "bite" to it than the others.

Blessings,
Omar

If it's available. I agree, Duke's is the best I've tried, but it's still a regional brand. Didn't see any stores carrying it in Kansas, but the map indicates they're moving into that market?

http://www.dukesmayo.com/store-finder.asp

They didn't invent Rednecks :heh: Hell Yeah Merica!!!!

Dunno. I'm pretty sure Toshiro was one...

images

There is a huge price difference in restaurant depot.
Chef Quality = 3.50 a gallon, 11.20 a case of 4
L&P, forget the price, but believe it was around 12 for a gallon, about the price of a case of the cheaper brand.

I can absolutely taste the difference! L&P user here. There are exceptions but in most things I find you get what you pay for. Obviously there's that point of diminishing returns where you're just paying for snob appeal which is where I draw the line.

I would consider myself to have a very refined taste though.

Depends on what I'm using it for. I always have a bottle of L&P, but I use it for my pork injection and when it's just a couple of TBS in 1/2 gallon of liquid, I'll usually just use Kroger brand or something that's cheap.

Maybe there's a difference, I've never tasted to see. All I know is I'm cheap and I can't imagine it makes any difference when I'm injecting and cooking a case of butts.

There is a huge price difference in restaurant depot.
Chef Quality = 3.50 a gallon, 11.20 a case of 4
L&P, forget the price, but believe it was around 12 for a gallon, about the price of a case of the cheaper brand.

However, I've found that the cheap stuff at RD is REALLY cheap tasting too.

We bought a few gallons of this chit called "Bon Cheri" BBQ Sauce for a big vending cook we were going to do and we ended up tossing it after the first bottle was gone. With all the crap we had to buy to doctor it and make it taste decent totally countered the savings.

I'm leary of buying the real cheap stuff in bulk.

When I use worstershire, I am always mixing with many other ingrediants - can't tell the difference then. Never had any comments on which I use. Its not like ketchup where people always comment.

Like many I buy the L&P just because. Tried heinz was good enough. For how much I use the cost difference is moot. Same with ketchup, I buy organic (avoiding the high fructose corn syrup).
I doubt I spend $20 more a year.

L&P, well I'm 50 years old and its the only brand I've ever seen in the house since childhood. I use it in my gumbo and wouldn't switch brands.

Worcestershire sauce is basically tamarind sauce. I don't believe that there is a significant difference in the final dish between brands, so I buy the cheap stuff at Safeway. It's still really yummy and I am happy because I like to make quality food for as little money as possible.

seattlepitboss

The only real Worcestershire sauce is the one sold in England, made in Worcestershire, using malt vinegar and marketed as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce".

I use Heinz because it's lots cheaper. However, my boyfriend recently bought some Lea & Perrins from the grocer and I did a taste comparison and the Lea & Perrins tasted much richer, fuller, less watery--it was quite a bit better. But I'll probably keep using this Heinz because it costs so little. I'll have to try French's.

Worcestershire sauce is basically tamarind sauce. I don't believe that there is a significant difference in the final dish between brands, so I buy the cheap stuff at Safeway. It's still really yummy and I am happy because I like to make quality food for as little money as possible.

seattlepitboss

This is interesting.. I just bought a block of tamarind paste (for $2.99) from the local Asian market a few days ago and made a gallon of tamarind juice -- oh my talk about delicious.. sweet, really tangy & fruity.. much better than lemonade.

I might try and make some homemade Worcestershire sauce with tamarind, anchovies, soy sauce etc.. but you have to ferment it as well. So it is quite involved.

Back