Wood Fired Oven Build

The "other" "indispensable tool" I discovered while building my oven was my little 4" angle grinder with a serrated diamond blade. It made 'shaping or shaving a little more off the brick' so much faster and easier than going back and forth with the main saw.

If you don't want to invest in a wet saw you can use your metal cutting chop saw or miter saw with a serrated diamond blade. I used my 10" Makita compound miter saw to make all the straight and angled cuts. Just soak the bricks in water for a good amount of time prior to cutting them.

The "other" "indispensable tool" I discovered while building my oven was my little 4" angle grinder with a serrated diamond blade. It made 'shaping or shaving a little more off the brick' so much faster and easier than going back and forth with the main saw.

If you don't want to invest in a wet saw you can use your metal cutting chop saw or miter saw with a serrated diamond blade. I used my 10" Makita compound miter saw to make all the straight and angled cuts. Just soak the bricks in water for a good amount of time prior to cutting them.

Thanks that is very helpful!

Decided that I would pickup some of the block each night on my way home from work, this is about 1/3 of what I will need.
picture.php

Here is the 42" template that I will be using to design the oven around.
picture.php

Tomorrow I will bring home some more block and build my "indispensable" tool.

Always excited to watch a new build, welcome to the club! :-D Although mine still needs its finishing touches, there are some progress photos of mine for reference (signature link).

Gulf, Awesome JOB!:clap2:

Now see.....right there I'd have about 100 questions about what's going on.
Thanks for the pick man. Rock on.
(I'll just sit here being confused)

Ahhh well...it would start with the statement:

So you're building a steel reinforced slab on top of a dry stacked bunch of cinder blocks?

Not exactly, the rebar runs vertically from the original pad up through the holes in the block, then I tied the horizontal rebar grid to the vertical pieces. When I pour the concrete it will fill all the vertical holes where I have rebar in addition to the hearth. So it will essentially be one solid mass, virtually indestructible!

Ok, that makes sense, thank you!
What is that white material on top?

Cement backer board, I am using it as the bottom form for the concrete. Instead of fitting plywood to the inside opening of the dry stacked block, the cement backer board is supported along the perimeter by the dry stacked block and then I have some temp supports in the middle which I will add some pics of shortly. I went with it this way so I don't have to try to remove the plywood later, the cement backer board stays.

Back