Wood Fired Oven Build

My biggest concern of the entire project is the exhaust, but I am sure it is one of those things that once you get to that point it will make more sense.

This is true. When you get to that point the transition from dome to flue vent will start to make more sense.
Good luck with the build!

You mean I have to wait till next week for the next episode!!!! I hate to be continueds........

For people who know me, they know that waiting will be the toughest part of the entire build for me. I like to start and keep on rolling, there will be several points in this build that you must be patient, not one of my strong points!

This will be a brick oven, but you are right all the info is readily available to anyone that has the ambition.

Great start! Ryan,

You are going to have a blast building your oven. Keep the kids involved as much as possible. They will remember "helping" you for a lifetime. For those other times when they can be underfoot, I gave my grandaughter a small trial and all the cut offs that she wanted to pick up. That kept her busy (close by) in the sand pile for hours. She is a bit older now but, she "helped build" Pop Pop's oven :smile:.

1.jpg

No I really don't, but I may still add some rigid insulation around the perimeter of the slab to about 2' deep. Just as a little insurance.
From the pics it looks like you did a nice job with the rebar. If you got the mix right it should be fine even if it tosses a little.

Really nice start. Love home-built WFOs. Are you accessing the Forno Bravo site? Lots of great info there.

You bet I am, reading up on all kinds of stuff. I'm waffling back and forth right now on "igloo" style vs barrel arch. I started out leaning towards the barrel arch and somewhere along the way I changed my mind but now I am back to leaning towards it.

I've never cooked on either style so either will probably be great. It looks like great food can be cooked on either so I may just go with the one that will be easier for me to construct.

The one downside I have seen mentioned on the barrel arch is that you may have to have a pretty good fire going along the side to cook neapolitan pizza, which is fine with me. And I am not building this with pizza as the primary focus, just want a good over all wood fired oven where I can cook all kinds of stuff.

Probably the same as figuring out the quirks of any smoker.

Great start! Ryan,

You are going to have a blast building your oven. Keep the kids involved as much as possible. They will remember "helping" you for a lifetime. For those other times when they can be underfoot, I gave my grandaughter a small trial and all the cut offs that she wanted to pick up. That kept her busy (close by) in the sand pile for hours. She is a bit older now but, she "helped build" Pop Pop's oven :smile:.

View attachment 100582

I just clicked on the link in your signature: WOW! You might as well quit following now because I am certain mine won't look that good. You did an incredible job on the last 4-5 rows at the top of your arch. Do you have or did you use an block/brick saw?

One of the reasons that I am leaning towards the barrel is so I can reduce the number of complex cuts that will be needed and get by with the tools that I currently have.

I just clicked on the link in your signature: WOW! You might as well quit following now because I am certain mine won't look that good. You did an incredible job on the last 4-5 rows at the top of your arch. Do you have or did you use an block/brick saw?

Thanks Ryan, but I am following because I like what you are trying to accomplish. Lets say, It's sort of like my highschool football days. I can't go back and do it again. But, like when my son played football. I sort of relived it through him :mrgreen:.
I assume that you meant dome instead of "arch". Yes, I got a little carried away, trying to stay on bond.

One of the reasons that I am leaning towards the barrel is so I can reduce the number of complex cuts that will be needed and get by with the tools that I currently have.

Stay with the Pompeii style oven. A barrel vault style oven (with a thicker floor) is a great oven if you are mainly interested in multiple (commercial) batches of bread. For the back yard chef, the pompeii will do anything and every thing that you want it to do, only better. I did buy a cheap Harbor Freght saw. (You can get the HF saw even cheaper if you watch for the specials and coupons) I had built a lot of arches in my time with only a brick set[/B] (bolster). But, I felt a little intimidated going into the complex curves of the pompeii without what an ace in the hole. Truth is you can build one without the saw. Bricklayer pros build them all the time with just square cuts for 1/2, 1/4 and 1/3 cuts for the dome. They don't see the need for compound mitering the joints. Only folks who are building them for themselves do that. But, many have bought the cheap saw from HF, and after building their oven's, have been able to sell it for just about what paid for it. I am keeping mine :clap2:

You are on the right road with Forno Bravo. Insulate like is recomended, keep the water out of your oven by any and all means. It will be the go to for all the back yard memories that you want to create for you, your family and friends.

Gulf, I did mean dome! Thanks for clearing that up as I am still trying to sort out all the lingo. I will check out harbor freight, I have a metal cutting chop saw and I saw something mentioned on one of the sites to switch out the blade and add a water drip. So I may look into that as well.

Back