Why are the smaller Weber Kettle Grills more expensive?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
I was at Lowes last night and was looking at the Weber Kettle charcoal grills. I noticed the 22.5 inch Silver Touch was $99 and the 22" One Touch Gold was $150. Granted the Gold has the more sophisticated ash catcher at the bottom but it is a smaller grill. Is the more sophisticated ash catcher worth another $50? Seems a bit out of whack to me. :twitch:

Unless they've changed them recently, all of my Golds and Silvers are the exact same size.

The Gold does have the hinged grill, as well as the ash "pot" instead of the tray. Personally, I prefer using my OTG's over my OTS's, but they all cook the same.

Matt

The ash catcher and hinged grates are worth it. you don't want to try and tip a regular grate to add fuel. Odds are you will dump your meat into the charcoal. To me the small hot coals falling out of the OTS are a little more dangerous.

Yeah the silver makes absolutely no sense to me with that dumb tray under it just waiting for the wind to blow the ashes. Weber should really not even make it.

I'm glad Bluedawg corrected me and told me they are the same size. I'm in the market for one and if they are the same size I have no problem going with the more expensive one. I had the cheaper one with the crappy ash pan and yes, it was a pain in the buttocks.

Another nice thing about the gold style ash catcher (same as on the Performer) is I can usually do 5 or 6 cooks before needing to clean it out.

before you purchase new go to craigslist. Of all the charcoal grills out there the weber kettle is the most prominent on craigslist. You can usually find a barely used for half the price of new.

I have the $10 Silver Craigslist Model, came with a hinged grate also and the old school weber charcoal separators that clip onto the bottom grates. I also have the $15 Craigslist three wheeler model. Didn't come with as many upgrades as the other one but was still a bargain.

I'm glad Bluedawg corrected me and told me they are the same size. I'm in the market for one and if they are the same size I have no problem going with the more expensive one. I had the cheaper one with the crappy ash pan and yes, it was a pain in the buttocks.

If the ash pan is your only complaint, you can buy an ash catcher and convert your OTS to a OTG.

I miss my old daisy wheel. I felt like I had much more control of the airflow with that one.
That's why I am in no rush to get a new one. I still like cooking at 225 deg, when I have the time. For most ash cleanings, I just put a container under one of the vents once everything is cold, and sweep the ash out through that one vent.

x2 or x3 about going on Craigslist. Easy to find the OTG units for $65 or less. I've actually picked up a few over the last few years for as little as $25. (and then sold at a nice profit) BTW, the hinged grates come in stainless and regular. The stainless grates are all aftermarket and do not come with the OTGs as far as I know.

Back