THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
I am looking for something like the Sweet Swine of Mine RED BOX smoker or similar quality and performance smokers that are reasonably insulated with long burn times that won't need a lot of babysitting. I am in East Texas so, shipping costs are a factor as well.

The only other one that comes to mind that is in the sub-$1K price range is the Backwoods Cubby out of Houston. What other options am I overlooking?

TIA,
Sid

Not sure about who else might make them- Back Woods and Humphrey's are the only 2 I can really think of for "small" cabinet smokers. There might be a few "direct from China" that might serve your purposes - not sure if you want to go down that road. I like everything about the Red Box - except the super tiny size. I have a Tamale pot Mini Wsm and I can probably cook as much in it as the Red Box. The cheap Chubby had my eye for a while- the fact that they had sourced it from China did not bother me. When I was thinking about them, Back Woods was selling out of Shreveport, and I was considering a road trip to save freight. The $749 in Mister Lloyds link would be hard to pass up if I were still looking for a small cabinet. I can get all the cooking I need to do lately on a 30 gallon UDS....prices keep going up on meat, I won't even need that.

Not sure about who else might make them- Back Woods and Humphrey's are the only 2 I can really think of for "small" cabinet smokers. There might be a few "direct from China" that might serve your purposes - not sure if you want to go down that road. I like everything about the Red Box - except the super tiny size. I have a Tamale pot Mini Wsm and I can probably cook as much in it as the Red Box. The cheap Chubby had my eye for a while- the fact that they had sourced it from China did not bother me. When I was thinking about them, Back Woods was selling out of Shreveport, and I was considering a road trip to save freight. The $749 in Mister Lloyds link would be hard to pass up if I were still looking for a small cabinet. I can get all the cooking I need to do lately on a 30 gallon UDS....prices keep going up on meat, I won't even need that.

:hungry: No kidding on meat prices!

Right now, Backwoods has free shipping on their "Cubby" model so, it looks like a leading contender.

There are some other insulated cabinet and/or pellet smokers out there but, most are in the $2,000 and up range with relatively expensive shipping. I'm thinking of TK and Assassin as the first two that come to mind but, admittedly are a little large for what I want.

One small Turkey or a Chicken, one or two racks of Ribs, and similar things are more practical "daily" cooks for me.

I like my backwoods chubby G3. Only complaint is dealing with the water pan post-cook...especially if you don't remember about it... :icon_sick

Back