250-Gallon trailer smoker; ASW or Primitive Pits or ...?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
Bucket list item for me ...

I have considered putting my Shirley on a trailer but, I also want to give direct flow a whirl too. :shocked:

I am in East Texas but, don't mind traveling for the right stick burner. I'm not going to California and the upper NorthEast is just as unlikely. :wink:

I have tentatively talked to Austin Smoke Works and can get one delivered in January 2023 pending a committed order from myself. The other one I have been primarily looking at is the Primitive Pits. Then there are others like Backline that I should probably also consider.

I don't know a lot about Moberg or Millscale but, my limited interactions with them in the past (pre-Shirley) were mixed and their Social Media posting in the past didn't really leave a good impression with me. I haven't checked delivery timelines during COVID but, previously they were years out and not interested in 250-Gallon pits.

Some of this is beat to death and like a broken record, so I won't be offended by a "cut and paste" or link to specific posts! :grin:

In no particular order:
  • I have a ~$10K budget to work with but, I can be swayed to spend more for the right smoker.
  • Single axle trailer
  • Hard roof would be nice but, I have no idea on cost
  • Smoking for really large groups isn't likely so, size needs to be reasonable (i.e. no huge Shirley cabinet trailers needed :mad:)
  • Insulated firebox FOR SAFETY around curious people and unsupervised children (or tipsy adults)
  • Door counterweights
  • Locking tabs on the doors to prevent metal theft or using the smoker as a trash can :mad2: during travel (not worried at home :grin:)
  • extra "slides" for chicken wings, sausage rods, and similar
  • Firebox for easy fire management, meaning not overly picky on split size and being able to run without attention or throwing more wood on too frequently
  • what am I overlooking?

This rig needs to support Wounded Warrior gatherings (40~60 people), Boy and Girl Scout club meetings (~30 kids), and similar sized events so capacity doesn't need to be extreme. Then there are the "one-off" events like a whole hog smoke for my friend and similar random oddball smokes. I would like to keep the overall size and weight reasonable to pull with a car (thinking trailer brakes and reasonable tongue weight) or small pickup but, that isn't a hard requirement and is more a 'convenience' feature as I generally have a 3/4 ton or larger pickup around and, on my farm I normally use a small tractor to move trailers around.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
Jambo, Outlaw, and the often overlooked Gator Pit are a few more to check out for a direct flow.

I

Bucket list item for me ...

I have considered putting my Shirley on a trailer but, I also want to give direct flow a whirl too. :shocked:

I am in East Texas but, don't mind traveling for the right stick burner. I'm not going to California and the upper NorthEast is just as unlikely. :wink:

I have tentatively talked to Austin Smoke Works and can get one delivered in January 2023 pending a committed order from myself. The other one I have been primarily looking at is the Primitive Pits. Then there are others like Backline that I should probably also consider.

I don't know a lot about Moberg or Millscale but, my limited interactions with them in the past (pre-Shirley) were mixed and their Social Media posting in the past didn't really leave a good impression with me. I haven't checked delivery timelines during COVID but, previously they were years out and not interested in 250-Gallon pits.

Some of this is beat to death and like a broken record, so I won't be offended by a "cut and paste" or link to specific posts! :grin:

In no particular order:
  • I have a ~$10K budget to work with but, I can be swayed to spend more for the right smoker.
  • Single axle trailer
  • Hard roof would be nice but, I have no idea on cost
  • Smoking for really large groups isn't likely so, size needs to be reasonable (i.e. no huge Shirley cabinet trailers needed :mad:)
  • Insulated firebox FOR SAFETY around curious people and unsupervised children (or tipsy adults)
  • Door counterweights
  • Locking tabs on the doors to prevent metal theft or using the smoker as a trash can :mad2: during travel (not worried at home :grin:)
  • extra "slides" for chicken wings, sausage rods, and similar
  • Firebox for easy fire management, meaning not overly picky on split size and being able to run without attention or throwing more wood on too frequently
  • what am I overlooking?

This rig needs to support Wounded Warrior gatherings (40~60 people), Boy and Girl Scout club meetings (~30 kids), and similar sized events so capacity doesn't need to be extreme. Then there are the "one-off" events like a whole hog smoke for my friend and similar random oddball smokes. I would like to keep the overall size and weight reasonable to pull with a car (thinking trailer brakes and reasonable tongue weight) or small pickup but, that isn't a hard requirement and is more a 'convenience' feature as I generally have a 3/4 ton or larger pickup around and, on my farm I normally use a small tractor to move trailers around.

TIA,
Sid

Sid,

I like your current choices, but it also wouldn't hurt to look for a used Jambo J3 which come up for sale in Texas or nearby on a regular basis for $10K or under. They made from new steel, not Propane Tanks so thinner (and lighter) so no counter-weights needed. They do have insulated fireboxes, and I think their success on the competition circuit speaks to their draft and cooking ability. Second shelf (AKA Texas Microwave) is available.

I hang out on the Fans of Jambo and Jambo Facebook pages, and while they do come up for sale pretty often, have your money ready as they always sell fast. It doesn't hurt that they look great in addition to cooking great! Many custom paint jobs out there.

Are you dead set on 250gal look or just need something equivalent in size?

As others have said with you being in Texas look at Jambo and even pitmaker magnum sniper. Pitmaker has trailers in your budget

I would look through FB marketplace in Texas you may be suprised what come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I commented in my thread as well, but I would drive no further than Austin Smokeworks. Definitely wouldn’t pass them up to drive to Primitive. MillScale are top notch, but they don’t make 250 gallon smokers. Not sure what Ryan’s wait time is but I’m sure Moberg is still 12 month minimum. I know Backline was catching up on his list.

Jambo and Outlaw enclosed trailers don't really appeal to me for aesthetic reasons. I'm sure they are great smokers and the trailers themselves look really nice for styling and showing off, sort of like the Harley's in front of Starbucks, or the Hardrock, or whatever the favorite watering hole is.

Gator Pits and Klose never really caught my attention but, I'm sure they are fine smokers. Getting a 24" or larger diameter seems to get pretty expensive pretty fast too. Johnson Smokers are another option I have thought about and I could probably be convinced to check them out in person.

The classic Texas look of a propane tank smoker appeals to me, especially with the stacks seen on the Moberg, Millscale, Primitive, and Austin Smoke Works pits.

The thing that has me thinking about Primitive Pits are the reviews and comments I have read that indicate they cook briskets better and faster than Moberg and Millscale pits of a similar size in commercial settings. Back to back similar cooks with similar wood loads and meat loads finishing much faster on a Primitive Pit suggests they have something figured out that is a real advantage.

Austin Smoke Works is one I don't see mentioned much, either good or bad. However, they have a loyal following of well respected pit masters so, they obviously are doing something right.

For anyone with experience with similar-sized pits to an Austin Smoke Works 250-Gallon model, I would be interested in any comments, good, bad, or indifferent contrasting good and bad points in smokers like these.

Are you dead set on 250gal look or just need something equivalent in size?

As others have said with you being in Texas look at Jambo and even pitmaker magnum sniper. Pitmaker has trailers in your budget

I can be convinced to go with something else but, I'm really looking for the classic Texas propane tank look.

The enclosed trailers and cabinet styles are not what I'm looking for.

The thing that has me thinking about Primitive Pits are the reviews and comments I have read that indicate they cook briskets better and faster than Moberg and Millscale pits of a similar size in commercial settings. Back to back similar cooks with similar wood loads and meat loads finishing much faster on a Primitive Pit suggests they have something figured out that is a real advantage.

Austin Smoke Works is one I don't see mentioned much, either good or bad. However, they have a loyal following of well respected pit masters so, they obviously are doing something right.

A quicker cook does not always equate to a better cook. Of the people who have Primitive in Texas, like Hurtado, when they decided to expand went with someone else. Sometimes places run pits because the builders give deals/discounts to help get their name out there. Could be the case, maybe not. I’ve never seen anyone complain about a Moberg or ASW, nor MillScale. I have cooked on the MillScale 1000 gallon pits and they are a dream to run.

Most pitmasters will take what they can get because they know they are similar enough the pitmaster can make the difference. Example, a very good restaurant in Fort Worth has 2 500 gallon smokers from different builders, his new 1k gallon will be from a different builder again because that was the quickest route he could take. I’ve never seen someone not satisfied with an ASW. Their design is the basis of Moberg’s pits.

A quicker cook does not always equate to a better cook. Of the people who have Primitive in Texas, like Hurtado, when they decided to expand went with someone else. Sometimes places run pits because the builders give deals/discounts to help get their name out there. Could be the case, maybe not. I’ve never seen anyone complain about a Moberg or ASW, nor MillScale. I have cooked on the MillScale 1000 gallon pits and they are a dream to run.

Most pitmasters will take what they can get because they know they are similar enough the pitmaster can make the difference. Example, a very good restaurant in Fort Worth has 2 500 gallon smokers from different builders, his new 1k gallon will be from a different builder again because that was the quickest route he could take. I’ve never seen someone not satisfied with an ASW. Their design is the basis of Moberg’s pits.

FWIW, I'm leaning pretty hard towards Austin Smoke Works because they are in Texas and have a good reputation. They have also been responsive to my phone call and email follow up which today is a pretty rare thing in my experience.

In terms of faster cooks for something like Brisket, I could always try the "hot and fast" method if time was a factor. Low and Slow does seem to offer a better smoke experience overall though so, generally, I run on the low side of what I see people in this forum post about their smokes when I run my smokers.

Being the originator of what I see with other "big name" builders is also a factor. I wouldn't call them a knock-off anymore than custom knifemakers claiming someone stole their bowie design however, I do respect the originator of something unique or exceptional.

Separately, I wonder why I don't see more "press" or Social Media love for Austin Smoke Works. Moberg, Millscale, and Primitive Pits seem to catch most of the love for classic Texas propane tank smokers.

I wonder if it is just a lack of "kickbacks", personal relationships, or whatever freebies are provided that have influenced articles I have seen in various print journalism outlets and on various online forums and social media outlets.

That would be my guess, and they don’t really push their social media. Moberg makes a post nearly everyday, MillScale has developed a “lifestyle” following. It’s quiet, but when places like Cattleack have four ASW smokers, tells you all you need to know.

I've cooked on a Smokeworks and they are fantastic smokers. They are really well built and cook great. I would say whatever direction you are leaning try and find a pit from that maker and try it before you commit.
John Lewis said something that has stuck with me. Pick a cooker built by people with years of daily cooking in a bbq restaurant setting. Then open the firebox door... if any smoke blows out move on. It doesn't draft properly. A cooker that drafts properly should pull the heat and smoke thru the cook chamber regardless of the door position. Not an exact quote but I think it says a lot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

John Lewis said something that has stuck with me. Pick a cooker built by people with years of daily cooking in a bbq restaurant setting. Then open the firebox door... if any smoke blows out move on. It doesn't draft properly. A cooker that drafts properly should pull the heat and smoke thru the cook chamber regardless of the door position. Not an exact quote but I think it says a lot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That’s interesting indeed…FWIW if I have the door open or cracked on my WH 1975, I’ll get smoke and heat escaping from it…that said, it is 5-10 degrees left to right….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back