Is the Brazos still the standard at around $1000?

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
I’ve been looking for an offset for a little while but due to living in the North East & steel costs it’s almost impossible to find something for less than $2k. I really don’t have the budget for a Workhorse, Blue Collar or custom pit by the time you factor in shipping costs plus the lead times are only getting longer, by the time I’d receive something we’d have two feet of snow on the ground up here.

Academy is out of stock online but there’s a shop in Texas that will ship a Brazos up here but with shipping it will probably cost about $2000, I’m not sure that a Brazos is really worth that but I don’t see any other options in that price range? Yes, I’ve been checking CL, FB & various forums daily but the North East has nothing for reasonably priced offsets, all I find are used boxstore COS’s at almost new asking prices or a couple of semi local builders in the $3k & up range.

I read just yesterday that steel price has gone up 141% since Oct 2020. I'd be very surprised if you can still get a Brazos for $1k. Good luck in your search.

I read just yesterday that steel price has gone up 141% since Oct 2020. I'd be very surprised if you can still get a Brazos for $1k. Good luck in your search.

Yes, you are correct, Brazos is now $1200-$1300 & the new DLX version is $1300-$1400. Still, a reasonable price all things considered.

Have you considered a cinder block offset smoker? Even with minimal DIY skills you can pretty easily make a good sized cooker for a cheaper price than you'd get with any steel smoker.

This guy has quite a few under $2000, but you'd have to pay shipping from Texas.

https://texaslonghornbbqpits.com/products-and-prices.html

Thanks, I haven’t seen his before, pretty solid looking too. I was hoping this thread would dig up some other builders like that before I pull the trigger on the Brazos. I’m definitely open to other builders as long as it’s in budget & reasonable attainable.

I went & looked at the Horizon 20" classic smoker at my semi local Cabela's yesterday for $1699. I could get that for the same price as a Brazos shipped, the DLX shipped to my door would be $150 more. They had two Horizon's on the floor to choose from so I could take it home today if I wanted. The Horizon Classic is a very basic smoker much like I imagine the Brazos is? Nice 1/4 thick metal, well fitted doors, so-so welds & cuts but solid overall. I can't see a Brazos in person so I can't really compare them but from everything that I've read the quality is a notch or so below the Horizon? Also, if I were to ship one I'd get the DLX which would add the door counter weight, 2 slide out racks, tuning plate & grate level stack. Tough decision either way, especially since I can't see an Old Country in person & I haven't heard one bad thing about Horizon except for them being a little more expensive new than maybe they are worth.

Finally, there's also what appears to be an original OK Joe about 350 miles away listed on FB marketplace for $400 which I understand is the same design as Horizon, only problem is me getting there to pick it up with my schedule.

Sounds like Horizon it is. The Brazos is a good looking smoker, but having looked at many at my local Academy there is great variance with the gaps in the door of the smoker (for Old Country in general not specifically the Brazos). I would definitely be careful of that not being able to see the smoker in person.

Don't know how close you are to a Buc-ee's. But, they sell Old Country Pits. If you're not familiar with them, they're basically a cross between a really nice gas station and a bass pro shop. You could always plan an impromptu trip to Daytona Beach and pick one up on the way back home.

Don't know how close you are to a Buc-ee's. But, they sell Old Country Pits. If you're not familiar with them, they're basically a cross between a really nice gas station and a bass pro shop. You could always plan an impromptu trip to Daytona Beach and pick one up on the way back home.

That would be great but I live in New Hampshire which is the opposite end of the country for that road trip!

Have you looked at Green Money Fab - in New Jersey - not next door - but doable I would assume if you wanted to drive down and pick up vs shipping

He is starting up a pipe production pit - $2,200 - but he makes a great pit

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbXVbJMusyj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I did see that recently on one of the FB pages, looks really good but a little over budget plus not sure on the time frame it will be ready. Maybe I'll drop him a line & see what he has to say.

Back