which shirley?

eyeowa

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Rob
Im looking at a new 24x36 shirley fabrication smoker or used 24x42. The 42 has double doors. The 36 has the new smokestack configuration. Both have pro's and con's. Has anyone owned/cooked on both? Any thoughts? Does the new smokestack location make a big difference? Either better for holding temps? Single vs dual doors? Thank you so much.

Sorry I can't answer your questions as I've never cooked on one.

First thing that comes to mind is bigger is better. Then think about the cost of both and the condition of the used one.

I hear the lead time on a new Shirley is quite long. Someone here hopefully can answer your questions. Good luck.

I have the 36 and have cooked on the 42 and had a 55 straight back.

1 door is much easier to work with. Especially if your hands are not both free. You just have to be careful as the thermometer will smack the exhaust stack on the single door.

I really like the new smoke stack, collector and location. Does it make a huge difference? Probably just a little better at evening out temps.

The extra 6" is the real difference. Just a little more elbow room / airflow for everything. But I love my 36. Unless you're trying to cook 12 butts the 36 will do. It will only fit 10.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

While I thoroughly understand the logic for a big as you can afford cooker, I've gone the opposite and have multiple types and sizes that would probably be considered small.
I'm from the purchase what you'd cook (meat and number of people) the majority of the time then add another cooker for those times it's needed. I'm just a backyard cook. I have a brother with an almost 15K
Klose, that is never used. Damn pretty yard art though. When you see cookers of the top makers for sale secondary they're usually huge. I've not seen a patio model of any of the Top American Pit makers in my region. I look daily. Tiernan SOB pops several times per year locally but I have one of those.

Anyway, in my world go big or go home is great advice. Home is where my correct sized cookers and their backups hang on the patio

Can you enlighten me about the new smokestack configuration?

On the 24x36, they put a collector at about the level of the second grate that extends over the firebox and exhaust stack comes out of it vertical to the right side of the cook chamber. You can see it in this pic of mine.
Different than on your big Shirley where it comes off the rear corner of the cook chamber.

Attachments

• 4BA82907-9237-4A17-BCF5-078A30831EA9.jpg
    4BA82907-9237-4A17-BCF5-078A30831EA9.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 120
I have owned both. I preferred the 42 (It was an elevated straight back) I am not familiar with the new smokestack on the patio, I likely had the original one, but both of them were easy to operate/maintain temp. The single door was convenient at times.

Here my 24x36

Attachments

• BF8C1F0E-B8A2-4C5C-B85A-54107A5A31F4.jpg
    BF8C1F0E-B8A2-4C5C-B85A-54107A5A31F4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 79
  • D14284B5-C666-44B7-BE54-82589C21AD71.jpg
    D14284B5-C666-44B7-BE54-82589C21AD71.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
Back