Where loin back ribs without the transverse process nubs?

Connor_Macleod

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Connor
So I buy most of my meat at Sam's Club, but I'm tired of the Sam's Club baby back/loin back ribs, which appear to be cut so close to the vertebrae that they include sheared off bone nubs from the transverse process (I think these are the right terms...I'm no pig doctor). These bone nubs make for less convenient and somewhat hazardous eating, and I would like to find some other brands to try that do not include them.

Do you all have any suggestions?

I just had BB-ribs from there this weekend, didn't notice any nubs.
2-pack, never frozen, baby backs. Chicago area - so where you are buying may be a different processor.

Those sound like the same ones I have been buying in the St. Louis area, and I consistently get the nubs.

Those sound like the same ones I have been buying in the St. Louis area, and I consistently get the nubs.

Connor I hope this doesn't mean every time I buy St. Louis ribs I get the nubs.

Cause I'm buying some St. Louis from Aldi tomorrow morning at $2.29 a pound for the weekend and I don't want a case of the nubs. :sick: :shocked: :mrgreen:

75% of the ribs I buy are spares, and when I do buy loin backs I always buy them in single packs. There is too much creative packaging in order to hide defects in multi-packaged ribs. My pet peeve is when they leave the heavy strip of loin meat and call them 'extra meaty' or something like that.

Thirdeye, I too buy only single racks of cry-o-vac ribs for the same reason. The creative packing of three racks is just like how some companies package their bacon by having that piece on the back side of the package which has those two flaps you can lift to see the slice that is SUPPOSED to resemble what the rest of bacon looks like. Most of the times I have opened a package such as I described, the representative piece is the only piece that looks like that.

As to the Sam's Club back ribs issue with the nubs, I had that problem at a BBQ contest in my early years. When it came time to slice up the best looking rack to sample, the nubs were cut so close to the spine, I could not slice the rack without ruining the appearance. I did not open the package until after the meat inspection. What I do now if I inspect a single rack in the package and see the nubs, I will freeze the rack. Once frozen, I will take my (meat only) reciprocating saw with a sterilized blade and cut down the rack removing the nubs. I find it is easier to do the trimming when the meat is frozen and it is easier to remove the bone/marrow dust while it still frozen. I will then rewrap the ribs if they are going back into the freezer or thaw them out for cooking.

I have to trim full spares into STL cuts. Must be nice to buy the pre-cut. If I want something like a baby back, I'll just get pork chops.

I have to trim full spares into STL cuts. Must be nice to buy the pre-cut..................

Not necessarily. I've bought too many mis-cut SL ribs to buy them again. They freeze them and you wind up with rib tips and short bones. No thank you.:mmph:

Back