What's your favorite chicken rub (homemade or commercial)?

I have a box full of different rubs, and they're all good, but always seem to go back to Plowboy's Yardbird. Sometimes I add a little additional black pepper to it too.

For something different I've been using Penzey's Galena Street Rib and Chicken Rub. In addition to traditional BBQ spices, it's got some sage and nutmeg that are good on chicken and a nice change of pace.

Plowboys Yardbird is our go to
Butcher's Honey Rub
Zero to Hero (Eat BBQ)
Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub

I've enjoyed all of these rubs by themselves but I tend to mix and match them to create new levels of flavor.

I love Harry Soo's chicken rub. Every time I do some spatchcocked birds or chicken legs for a party and use Soo's chicken rub I get rave reviews. Great stuff...

I really like a few of the Oakridge, but to me, the best bang for your buck, go with any sides chicken rub is Weber's Beer Can Chicken. It's really good.

I usually use Salt & Pepper. I also like Kosmos Killer Bee Honey Rub. The folks who own our local BBQ shop have great luck with in during competitions.

Good suggestions all, for sure. If I have a chance to brine first, I go with this dry rub mix and get really good reactions. It's got no salt in it, so you need to brine first to get your salt in if you need it. I've also gone straight rub without brine and added a little sauce, to good reviews as well.

Chicken Rub

1 Part Smoked Paprika
1 Part Garlic Pepper
1 Part Dry mustard
1/2 Part Onion powder
1/2 Part Chili Powder
1/4 Part Cayenne (More if you want a little more heat)

I having been switching it up with Simon and Garfunkel rub from Amazingribs.com and plain old Mrs. Dash (yellow cap).
But I'm am definitely going to try some of these suggestions.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

I having been switching it up with Simon and Garfunkel rub from Amazingribs.com and plain old Mrs. Dash (yellow cap).
But I'm am definitely going to try some of these suggestions.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!
If it helps, I Googled Cavender's, and the ingredients are quite similar to the Greek rub I posted.

I like to spatchcock chicken and brine it. I snip a few rosemary branches, fold them up and mangle it a bit. Use the rosemary ball to mix the salt and water, leave it in there. Once brined I only add pepper. Indirect on the kamado with apple wood smoke.

By far the best seasoning for smoked or rotisserie chicken, even better is rotisserie smoked chicken.
McCormick-Large-Rotisserie-Chicken-Seasoning-0.jpg

This stuff is awesome. A friend brought it to me from one of his business trips. Stuff was so good my wife only used it when we were cooking for us, lol.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GABPQC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=B9U5DM6QG42F&coliid=I3O3VJ52IWM3K1"]Amazon.com : Adkins Home Style Chicken & Pork Rub 13 OZ All Natural : Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

Thanks for this thread, I see a few that I’m interested in. Still strange to me Cavenders was only mentioned once. It is wonderful for chicken or poultry.

Back